IGNORED

R1150 RT Electronic (Vacumn) Cruise Control

dppeter

Hi Dan.

New to BMWs but it looks like they've adapted an aftermarket automotive stem-attached CC to the bike. I have a write up that I used on my old Goldwing telling how to buy one of these from an autoparts store and adapt it if you're interested.

If you want it , let me know.

Bob

I remember seeing a BMW ON article on this the past year. They installed it, and it worked as advertised. However, at 500 smackeroos, it seems a tad spendy.

Guess if you have a need for this on long slabs, it may be an OK purchase.

Grump. frown.gif

Sorry, but does no one see a problem in using 80's - Chrysler K-Car techonology on their R-bike? Haven't you noticed that modern cruise controls on cars work so much better than what was available just 10 years ago?

The aftermarket guys need to get their a$$ in gear. Modern car electronics are so electronically integrated that stand-alone systems don't exist. (see R1200RT cruise control) SOMEONE needs to take the plunge (leap of faith) that we'd pay for a better product.

I have throttle lock on my R1150RT. Rode from Chicago to DC to NYC & back again last fall. Throttle lock is a poor substitute for an integrated - brake switches off & speed up/down hills are flawlessly maintained - speed control. The worst is that the heated hand grips interferes. What the....

Anywho, I for one, would be willing to pay a few premium buck for a really competent cruise control.

end rant. smile.gif

...but not yet for RT's. crazy.gif

But it aint far away. I've got a preliminary install manual if anybody is interested.

Cheers

Bill Dennes

I had one of their kits on a K1150LT. It maddened me because when it was engaged, the throttle grip was effectively de-clutched from its cable unless the grip was used to accelerate above the Cruise's set speed. Made it impossible to lean on the bars when the Cruise was engaged as the right grip just flopped around.

Was GREAT for up and down hills and was wonderful for avoiding the way speed can just kinda taper off near the end of a long ride. BUT the "loose grip" feeling was terrible.

I wound up setting my Flip-A-Lever in addition to the Cruise. Used the Flip-A-Lever just to keep the grip from turning.

The BMW stock R1200RT control is different, does not cut the grip loose.

Does the M/C Cruise still act as it used to?

Posed your question to Tony @ MCCruise and this is the reply;

"Our product is designed not to intrude on the basic structure or mechanics of the bike as far as possible. That said, we have to work within what is given by the manufacturer and in BMW's case they do not have opening and closing cables - springs return the throttle to idle. Since the cable interface removes the drive from the handgrip throttle cable it is unavoidable in a single cable system that the throttle grip has freeplay.

It doesn't matter in as much as the rider can lean on it and accelerate to pass a car. If the cruise wants to apply power it will - it can exert quite a lot of force. And it will back throttle off no matter what the rider is doing because of the design. Clearly this particular rider didn't like it - but that is the first I have heard of such a complaint after 9 years in the business, so that seems to put the issue in perspective. In any case, there is nothing we can do about it - we are at the mercy of the manufacturers' designs."

So it looks like the freewheeling throttle is here to stay in this particular instance.

Cheers

Archived