IGNORED

Valve cover gaskets

kalali

Sorry if this a very newbie question but do you folks replace the valve cover gaskets/spark plug seals each time doing a valve adjustment? There are plenty of articles/videos on performing the adjustments but none seem to mention if you start with a new gasket set. Thanks.

Sorry if this a very newbie question but do you folks replace the valve cover gaskets/spark plug seals each time doing a valve adjustment? There are plenty of articles/videos on performing the adjustments but none seem to mention if you start with a new gasket set.

Evening kalali

Basically NO, as long as the gaskets are in good shape & still pliable. (they can be re-used many times)

On the rubber hat seal around the spark plug well, those run pretty hot so can degrade a little quicker. I don't replace those as habit but if stiff, cracked, or leaking then I do replace them. (my suggestion is to always have a set of these handy as you won't know how re-usable they are until you remove the cover)

I adjust my valves every spring...or at least check them. I usually get three years on mine before they are compressed too far. Valve cover bolts are I believe only 8nm so at some point you will begin to feel air blowing out around valve covers after you start engine. Do not over tighten these bolts, its cheaper to buy new gaskets at Beemer Boneyard than dealing with stripped threads. Aluminum is not very forgiving.

Thank you. I put on average roughly 3K miles on my bikes each year so aside from the annual fluid changes I'll plan on doing a valve adjustment every other year. That'll be next year along with a TB sync.

P.S. Just did a transmission, engine, and final drive drain and fill earlier this afternoon. Used Valvoline synthetic 75W90 in the tranny (800ml) and the diff (230 ml) and Royal Purple 20W50 in the motor. Had some real fine metal shavings on the tranny drain plug magnet. Bike is new to me but has supposedly been well maintained. Only 16K miles.

190,000 miles on my 1100RS with the original valve cover gaskets AND spark plug donuts.

I had to replace the donuts on my 90,000 mile RT because they hardened and one of them would not come off. Same valve cover gaskets, though.

Archived