IGNORED

Trailering. Kendon. Front strap Location?

CWD

Bought a double Kendon trailer last week. Loaded 2 bikes and tested it on a 200-mile round trip. Seemed to work great. I attached front soft straps just above the fork brace, where it doesn't compress the regular suspension, just pulls the tire against the chock. Seemed to work great.

But I'm getting ready for a longer trailer trip, and I'm wondering if my method is sound. Kendon recommends an attachment method that compresses the suspension 15-25%. Not sure where to put the soft ties to do this without rubbing against the fairing. And I'm not a big fan of using Canyon Dancers.

Anyone have strong feelings for or against the using the non-compressed attachment point, just above the fork brace? They sure did ride steady. Mirrors on the bikes were only 5" apart, and never rocked close together.

Thoughts or pics anyone? Thanks.

I recently had to tow my bike for the first time and had similar questions. I found that the BMW preferred method for towing an oilhead is as you did. In fact BMW says do not attach to the handlebars as this could cause damage. I towed my RT from Cincinnati to Baltimore without even a hint of a problem. I also tied a strap around the rear wheel just to keep it from walking left and right.

Towed my 1150RT 6,000 miles across the country and back using the recommended tie-down method (fork brace in front and rear frame near the passenger footrests at the rear) on a 2-bike Kendon in 2009. That included some pretty poorly maintained roads. The front of the bike never moved, but the unbalanced forces on the rear pulled the rear tire toward the outside of the trailer. Stopped that by adding a couple of 1/2 inch PVC pipes to the rear deck to keep the rear tire centered.

Also, I use a soft loop around the anchor point. They are available at any H-D dealer ;)

Mike Cassidy

I also have a dual Kendon -- around the leg at the lower fork plate is the only way I've ever done it.

Just be sure you don't inadvertently capture/crush a brake line or the ABS sensor wire between the strap and the fork leg.

John Ranalletta

Your good for the ties on the front but here's another opinion.

Once in the chock, I attach a Jegs ratchet strap to the passenger foot peg structures and fasten them to a forward part of the trailer. Do not use cheap ratchet straps.

555-80121.jpg

That pulls the bike into the chock and stabilizes side-to-side. I also add two, smaller ratchets from the same passenger foot pegs stretching sideways, perpendicular to the bike for added stability.

I've indicated the attachment points in this photo. This avoids using the fork area entirely.

Capture.JPG

Always, always always plan a stop 15-30 minutes into your trip to take out slack created by bouncing. Slack in the straps fastened perpendicular to the bike could let the bike slip backward out of the chock on heavy acceleration. Don't ask me how I know that. My 2 cents.

Archived