IGNORED

Unbelieveable !!!

Alien_Hitchhiker

Alien_Hitchhiker

This one I gotta share: on my round trip commute to work today my 1100RT did NOT suffer a spline failure, rear drive breakdown, burnt valve, blown alternator belt, or any noticeable surging. The old girl is pushing 38,000 miles and has never so much as hicupped at me. She just keeps getting smoother, slicker shifting and faster. (She is sagging a bit in the shocks - saving my pennies for some Ohlins)

So, I just thought I'd share this in case there are any lurkers out there considering making the move to an oilhead. Come on over to the oily boxer side; they are magnificent machines!

Steve,

Glad that you made it to work and back on your Oilhead with no problems. Just out of curiosity, do you still own the Yamaha XS850? Any clutch or rear end problems? I didn't think so...

It was raining hard this morning, so I drove the car, an '88 Maxima with 140K miles and never a problem. My wife drove her '96 Accord with 180K miles, and it also has never had a problem. Saturday I rode around on my '73 R75/5. It's not original, but in 180K miles it has left me stranded just once, and that was due to a faulty rear end spline repair. My reliability bar is set fairly high.

peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA (24K miles, never a problem, and I certainly wouldn't expect one)

180k on 96 accord...time to change that timing belt

Right you are! Actually, it's on its third - my vehicles get the normal recommended service. If Honda says to change the timing belt every 90k miles, that's what I do. Obviously, my R75 is not on its original clutch, or timing chain, or top end either. But, everything I've done to the bikes (including my R90/6 with 150K miles) and cars has been done in my garage or after getting it to the shop under its own power, and not because something broke unexpectedly out on the road.

I've read that older Ducatis had a timing belt replacement interval of 10K miles, which seems to indicate a very marginal design. But, good on Ducati for being honest and up-front.

peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA

Alien_Hitchhiker

Peter, I sold the Yamaha a few years back. Nice bike - once I sorted out the leaky petcocks. The three cylinder DOHC engine was sweet but it handled like a pig - very top heavy, especially with the Vetter Quicksilver fairing. It also had Krauser bags mounted on it.

I bought it around '96 with 12K on it, and ran it up to about 50K. No rear end problems. I understand the drive train was a Getrag design.

That is not surprising. I had a 2000 r1100rt. Never surged. Started every morning. i personally beleive that the 1150 engine was a dog. Maybe the fatherland found the right formula with the r1200 engine.

Howard

David_Charlton

Got to agree with Steve, all my '03 has given me is pleasure, if the 1150 engines are a dog, then I've been fortunate enough to have bought a pedigree!!!

84,000 and counting. My only problem is that I have to stop at gas station about every 250-260 miles and put gas in it. My tires keep wearing out and ever so often I have to put some oil in the RT. Other than that everything seems to be OK on the bike.

The old girl is pushing 38,000 miles and has never so much as hicupped at me.

With only 38K, I would certainly hope not.

....after all, it's just barely broken in!

Bob.

In 1991, I bought a new 1991 FXSTC. Thereafter, I poured about $5,000.00 into the motor, several different cams (I am on my fourth), Crane roller rockers, Branch heads, single fire, dual coil ignition, S&S Super E carb, Supertrap exhaust and most recently, bigger Keithblack racing pistons. I thought I had a real screamer!! In 2002, I did something I thought I would never do, I went out and bought a brand new R1150RT. Right out of the box, the Beamer would run circles around the Harley and continues to do so!! I was amazed then and get more so every time I ride it. So if the the 1150RT is a dog, it is a HOT-Dog!!! I still love the Hog though!! <<<Softtail>>> dopeslap.gifclap.gifdopeslap.gif

Archived