IGNORED

02 1150 RT WONT START

hrk123

I changed the oil/filter and then tried to start. On this attempted start, heard what sounded like the alt. belt squeek. It would turn over but would not start. It had been a little harder to start the last few times. Bike only as 5400 miles on it. Kill switch is in the correct up/down position, there is spark to plugs and smell raw fuel. Any ideas and thanks?

Side stand down and in gear?

Once you flood the bike it is almost impossible to start. I had the pull the plugs and let it sit overnight to dry out.

Don't know if this will help or not. But early in my 2003 R1150RTs life it stalled and would not start. I had it towed to the dealer and the mech. cranked the throttle wide open while pushing the starter. It sprang to life, chocking initially, but quickly settling in. I told my friend about this, and he had an opportunity once when the the bike would otherwise not start.

You might give this a try.

Doug

heard what sounded like the alt. belt squeek. It would turn over but would not start.

I would start with the current suggestions but they do not account for the noise you describe.

I would start by turning the key on and listening for the fuel pump to come on. If it runs and has a normal sound then I would pull the plugs, blow cylinders dry if you have compressed air otherwise let it dry out over time, dry the plugs and try it again.

If this doesn't work I would pull the alternator cover to see if the belt disintegrated and did damage to any wires or the hall sensor.

If there is nothing wrong here and you confirm you have spark and gas then it is time to check fuel pressure and timing. If you want some help when you get to this point there will be lots of good advice on this site.

If you have good timing, consistent spark, gas pressure and the the fuel injectors are firing and it won't run you are into more serious things like valve timing... but let's not jump the gun it is probably flooded.

Good luck and let us know how oyu make out.

Archived