IGNORED

Horn Electrical Question

Skywagon

Lets start with my electrical prowess on a scale of 1-10. If an MSEE is a 10 and amateur is a 5, I am a 1 at best. Good wrencher but if can't be fixed with a hammer, must be an electrical problem. I digress

As many have posted the horn(singular) on the 14RT is nearly as effective as on my JC Higgins 1960 bicycle. On the other hand my horns (hi/lo) from my prior oil head were very effective.

I bought an additional horn from an oil head on ebay along with the BMW connector. I made a bracket and was able to mount it next to the factory horn without hitting the forks. Not much room on the new RT. I tapped into the original wire with positaps for the new horn.

I was very pleased when I honked the horn(s) as they were quite loud for 1 second. Then it wouldn't honk again unless I turned the key off and back on. Same thing each time. I could swap the horns around and either would work fine by itself from either connector, but they would cycle off when both plugged up requiring key off/on to honk.

So what to do...I assumed the factory horn was on a relay and shouldn't be an issue carrying a second BMW horn. Not sure though. I put it all back original and it works fine.

Well....there is the end of my electrical genius. Suggestions on what to do are greatly appreciated.

Evening David

It's not like old days when the horn was controlled by a simple stand alone relay. New horn system is basically computer controlled & current monitored.

You have a couple of choices--

Find 2 horns that draw less current than your existing pair.

Or- add a power relay to use battery power to power the new horn (or power both horns) using the present horn wire to trigger the relay.

Archived