IGNORED

Police - Dual Fans?

moshe_levy

All-

Just curious here. On the old Hex and Oilhead Police bikes, the oil coolers had a thermostatically controlled fan behind the oil cooler. I wonder if the new Wethead versions also have an oil cooler fan - or is the solo coolant radiator fan in the civilian version enough? Anyone know?

-MKL

The repair DVD shows only one fan on the RTP. Best I can tell, there is no oil cooler (or external oil lines) on the Wethead. Both radiators are for water based coolant.

Oh, OK. I haven't delved deeply into the workings of it yet. I just ASSumed one radiator was coolant and the other oil.

-MKL

As Larry said, both radiators are for water. The two are linked in series, and the cooling fan is located for the first one from the engine (wrt water circulation). This way, the second radiator needs only natural flow of air to further cool down fluids that had already been cooled down to some degrees, before the coolant is returned to the engine.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for clearing this up. I noticed the fan only activating on one side and thought maybe something was wrong with a fan on the other side. I knew it was radiators on both sides and just assumed they were identical with fans. Can't be broke if the second fan doesn't exist! :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

RT-P aka Police aka authority bikes have same cooling system as civilian models. Dual radiators, one fan, right side. Works wonderful, had 2015 in the south Texas summer heat, 100 degrees plus without any problems. Idling for 20 minutes, running hard, etc. The temp gauge is comprised of 10 off segment bars. Five bars is normal operating temp. At 6 bars, the fan activates for anywhere from 15-45 seconds. The fan does not appear to be variable speed, either on or off, no high or low,or anything in between. Once the temp gauge rests back to 5 bars(halfway), fan kicks off. Hottest I've ever seen her was 7 bars. It's a miracle compared to old 13 model even with fan assist oil cooler and 20w-50 oil.

Archived