IGNORED

Side stand or Center stand for OIL change

1stiski

Wondering what is the best method to do the oil change. My first one was done on the center stand, but I got thinking about what a tech guy said to me about the Right valve cover area holding more oil in it then the left side (not sure on the validation of this), but thought , maybe I should have the bike on the side stand to drain the oil? Any one have thoughts on this?

I do mine on the centerstand. I don't know that any more or less oil would be in the crankcase either way. I don't see how leaving a couple ounces of oil behind could ever matter. You could say that the sidestand would leave more oil in the left cylinder. Since the bike goes down the road level, like on the centerstand, I am sure the oil drains from the components well enough while level.

What I do know is that BMW techs will have the bike on the centerstand to change oil, I have watched mine being done.

Hi 1stiski, welcome to BMWST. It's good to have you around.

Why not fill your profile out a little more so that folk may be able to help you even more.

Andy

Wondering what is the best method to do the oil change. My first one was done on the center stand, but I got thinking about what a tech guy said to me about the Right valve cover area holding more oil in it then the left side (not sure on the validation of this), but thought , maybe I should have the bike on the side stand to drain the oil? Any one have thoughts on this?

Definitely center-stand! The drain plug is in the middle of the crankcase, and if you drain with the bike on side-stand, you will definitely leave some old oil behind in the crankcase! Or, should I say that you will leave more oil behind? The oil in the valve cover doesn't have anything to do with draining the crankcase. You can drain the crankcase completely, and when you take the valve covers off (to check the valve gap, say), you had better put a container on the floor beneath it, because you will find the oil that your mechanic was talking about, come pouring out!

Morning 1stiski

It's kind of a toss up as using the center stand (ONLY) will leave a little more oil in the R/H valve cover & using the side stand (ONLY) will leave a bit more oil in the crankcase right of center.

What I (personally) do is: (directly after riding the motorcycle to heat up the oil)- is to place bike on side stand to drain R/H valve cover into the crankcase, then (while sitting on the bike) lean the bike to the right for a short time to drain the L/H valve cover of some of the retained oil.

Then place bike on center stand & drain oil & remove oil filter.

Then (I USUALLY) allow the oil drain overnight to allow most of the drip-down oil to drain out.

It's not the end of the world if not ALL of the old oil comes out but the BMW service manual re-fill quantity is based on dry crankcase so any oil remaining in the engine will alter the required re-fill amount.

I imagine the oil gravity drains from the top of the head when the engine is running and you're riding. Hard to see why it wouldn't stopped and on the centerstand.

Archived