IGNORED

Sunglasses for Old Blind Farts - Dual VR1

Jake

Can't quite see the directions on that fancy new GPS?

Are you a reluctant member of the Riders Needing Readers Club?

Tired of carrying multiple glasses?

Do you have to finally admit that getting old actually does suck just a little bit?

Enter the Dual Eyewear VR1 Sunglasses. Just that name is cool enough to try a pair. So I did, and here they are.

i-PKdSqx8-S.jpgi-hpJtFMt-S.jpgi-mFtTPjR-S.jpg

I am particularly sensitive to light, so I am addicted to sunglasses. From where I am sitting I can spot my Serengetis, Oakleys, Maui Jims and Tifosis in the room - the latter being the only suitable pair for riding as the others are all polarized which as you know don't play well with visors. I'm rough on them all, and am tired of losing and abusing premium sunglasses.

The problem with going blind as I age is that sufficient light is also needed to focus sharply on anything that is within arm's reach, and now I need the danged readers too. While I only require the 1.5s, that is enough to blur the GPS information while behind sunglasses without correction that are also behind a visor, unless I wanted to wear the sunglasses and the readers at the same time (it HAS been done and you know it). I needed a pair of sunglasses that are not polarized, pass enough light while cutting glare, and can provide some magnification in a bifocal design. Oh, and they need to fit inside a helmet comfortably, so the arms must be right, the nose piece must be right, and the shape of the lenses must be right. And I only want to pack one pair so if I find myself doing any night riding I want to be able to swap to clear lenses. Is that too much to ask? For the nice folks over at Dual, evidently not.

i-wx3JzMv-L.jpg

As you can see from these photos the lenses have magnification zones they call diopters (Mitch would like that word) which are positioned low and center to keep the majority of the lens standard, providing a magnification zone lined up to the area of focus you would need if you were reading something down and in front - perfect for a blind man on a motorcycle glancing at a GPS. They are shipped with the smoke/gray colored lens (shown removed), and I opted for additional clear lenses as well as the amber lenses which I have installed on the frame in these pictures.

The whole shootin' match was shipped to me for less than $50 as this model is currently on sale. Yes, they are hecho en China, but the nice folks at Dual have Colorado offices and seem eager to please. From what I can see (and I now can see a lot) these babys represent excellent value. They are comfortable under helmet as this particular model is designed for helmet use. They don't slip, have clear optics, minimize the frame for maximum view, and contain all the same specs as the super expensive stuff.

They even came with this nice carrying case with compartments for the additional lenses, just like the big boys do.

i-wBcKGFC-S.jpg

I like 'em a whole bunch.

There is no interference for me, but that may be a function of my big 'ol noggin. I have a long oval XL melon. I have had glasses that have had that issue, but these don't for me. The shape of the arms are designed to lay flat against one's head, unlike say Oakley Flak Jackets which have arms with a bulkier shape.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Had a pair show up yesterday. Hard to beat that price and polarization sucks with helmets.

Looking forward to a test in a couple of weeks after vaca and work travel.

I received a set. The fit is great, but it seems the reading glass portion is too low on the lens -- I have to tip my head back pretty far to get the bifocal part up to the instruments. Anyone else?

OK, you made me look (and reach for my credit card)...

I just ordered 2 pair, 'cus I likewise have sensitive eyes which don't dilate after years of glaucoma damage. I see nearly 20/20 after earlier cataract lens replacement deemed medically necessary but need 1.5 cheaters for laptop and 2.0 for magazines and books. No polarized lenses for me either. These should work great as alternative to my Serengetis normally worn for all but moto use. As to diopter location, the VR1 are right wehre I'd want them, i.e., out of normal distance line of view.

Thanks for sharing your review and the half price deal link... :thumbsup:

I got mine but they left out the amber lenses but that'll get straightened out. Like them, fit well inside the helmet, light weight, great price.

it seems the reading glass portion is too low on the lens

Definitely on the lowside and a bit of a tip up is necessary if your GPS is up on a shelf as mine is. The top line of the diopters start about mid steering wheel height in car use as a reference. While that is lower than typical bifocals, the magnification will be thankfully out of the way for 99% of their use on the bike. I think that will work out well when looking down the road in tighter twisites. I'll know in a few weeks after F.A.R.T.

It's too bad they aren't offered in 1.0 diopter. I had cataract surgery 2 summers ago, and 1.0 diopter works well at the distance to my GPS and the instrument panel. I picked up a pair of frameless el-cheapo 1.0 diopter readers at an Ace hardware, and cut about 3/16" off the top, then wet sanded and polished, measuring with a pair of digital calipers to make sure that both lenses were the same height. This gives me a clear view of the road, while sharpening up the instruments — especially useful when the GPS uses a small font.

rider%252520readers.jpg

I believe I'm going to have to try this route.

On the VR1's today, I wore them on the commute to the office. The bifocal portion is so low that I can't even read the instruments on my RTW without tipping my head back way too far -- and even then all I can see is a tiny sliver between the top of the bifocal cut and the chinbar of my Schuberth (that's with the top of the frame up against the top of the eye opening of the Schuberth). Totally unusable for me.

Sorry they didn't work out for you - didn't intend for you to have to test their refund policy so soon...

Check this out - I did not see this previously on Aerostich's website during my search for a solution. This page shows all of their sunglasses, but I believe the stick-on Hydrotacs look pretty interesting. Put 'em where you want 'em - placement guaranteed.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeeha! Stephen
I received a set. The fit is great, but it seems the reading glass portion is too low on the lens -- I have to tip my head back pretty far to get the bifocal part up to the instruments. Anyone else?

I use a similar product and the "bifocal" line runs the same height as my dash line/windscreen line.

And, the lens doesn't wrap quite as much and doesn't interfere with the porthole on my helmet. Plus the lens is solid to the end of the frame and not as much turbulence coming around the edge of the lens

http://www.elvex.com/RX-350.htm

RX-350BR-400px.jpg

• 6 months later...
Twistedspoke

Thanks for the review. I started to order them and found the hard case was on back order so I delayed my order until I can get the free shipping with all the components. Hope I don't have to wait too long. Thanks again.

I rely on a tinted shield/shade for sun protection, but a few months ago I stumbled on Sightline Multifocal Readers on Amazon. The +2 is 0.75 diopter at the top, and 2.0 at the bottom — no bifocal line. The +1.5 would probably be 0.5 diopter at the top, which is almost unnoticeable for distance vision, and 1.5 at the bottom should be just right for reading the dash. Unlike most readers at this price point, the lenses are coated.

have tried the stick-ons before. They fall off in wind and water.

I went to the Doc a few months ago, picked out a pair of Ray-Ban Frames I liked, showed them where I wanted to draw the line for the bifocal and had them made that way. They have polarized lenses as well. The polarized create minor problems for me but are well worth the glare removal IMHO. Strange looking straight at the GPS with the shield up, the polarization makes it hard to see. I put the shield down and the GPS is clear as a bell...go figure.

• 3 weeks later...
GregsARed

If you frequently browse the cheap sunglass racks you're probably familiar with I-Gogs. Their line includes sporty sunglass cheaters (19.99), usually on a separate side of the rack. I recently picked up a pair.

I'm 5'10, ride a '13 RT with the lowered seat. Looking downroad, the top of the magnification area lines up with the lower part of the windshield, so the entire instrument display area is magnified. Perfect. Also fit comfortably under my Shoei.

They can be viewed and purchased at

http://www.eye-toolsreaders.com/ or often displayed at convenience stores and the hardware/lumber/sports box outlets where you can touch them before purchasing.

Archived