IGNORED

Preventive maintenance

MT Wallet

I'm in the process of solving problems my R1100RT is notorious for like the "U" hose in the gas tank. I took the plate off and found the hose to be soft and supple. The question is this: What does a bad hose feel like? Look like? I don't want to change a perfectly good hose if I don't have to. What doe this fine collective think.

Morning MT Wallet

Bad hoses run the gamut-- from outer layer delaminated, cracked & missing pieces, to looking like new with a small pin hole that only shows up under pressure & heated fuel.

You are in there now, don't know the history of the hose replacement, so now is the time to replace it rather than waiting until it leaves you stranded in the L/H lane of a shoulder-less freeway. (or it could be bad now & just not noticeable)

I kind of knew the overall feeling would be to change it. I'll do it. Looking at the hoses and feeling them I get the impression this may have been done but not documented. I have hoses on my little boat that get stiff and brittle feeling after one season. The hoses feel like the replacements I bought. Any "heads up", "look out for" advice before I jump into this?

I actually just did this on my 2002 R1150 RT. I bought a foot of submersible hose from NAPA for about $30. Along with a fuel filter and clamps - make sure you get the fuel style clamps, not the generic ones, came to about $40. I also bout a short piece of spring from the hardware store that would fit outside the curved piece and keep it from crimping. ?i think that was a buck or two. The hardest part was getting the piece from the fuel pump to the first connection. Not a Lot of room to work with. You have to slide it way over the connection tube, put the fuel pump in place, then slide it back over the fuel pump.

I am sure somebody has an easier way to do it, but I did not see it. It was easier that I thought going in.

While you're buying things, buy an Oetiker clamp tool and use the correct clamps from BMW. When you have the tool, removing and installing these clamps is easier than screw-type clamps and you have the guarantee every time they are installed to the correct tension ... assurance you NEVER have with screw-type clamps.

http://www.amazon.com/Oetiker-14100117-Narrow-Jaw-Pincers/dp/B008L48A86/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1441044161&sr=8-16&keywords=oetiker

I bent some steel brake line using a bending tool and took out the u hose altogether. rather than add a small bit of hose and additional clamps to hold things together, I used the flare end of the steel brake line to attach a compression fitting to a race fuel filter. the other side I flared it slightly for the existing clamp. on the other side of the fuel filter, I attached a screw on clamp fitting for the outflow hose. it cut down on the possible failure points in my RT.

Archived