IGNORED

28 liter topcase release problem

upfisk

I have a 28 liter BMW topcase installed on my bike and only have a plastic key. I can't get the key to turn to the release position in order to operate the release handle go get the case off. Can I get to the release mechanism some other way? Can I get to the release mechanism by taking the case apart? Anyone have experience with this problem?

The BMW service DVD MAY have the procedure on how to disassemble the topcase. I believe this same case is used on my F800GT and my manual has this in quite some detail.

Stan

:dopeslap: Bummer! I updated my F800 service manual to a later version that actually included the GT model and now I can't find the topcase repair procedure!!!

I don't think I just dreamed it! I remember thinking that was a good thing to have!

Stan

I guess I would start by having a metal key made to match your plastic key.

Where did the metal keys go? Can you run the bike with a plastic key? My 2015 F800GT came with 2 metal keys, no plastic one.

Stan

Bought the case used and the plastic key came from the other bike. Have used the case for a year with no problems, but now it is not releasing. My metal keys for my bike are not even close to this topcase requirements. Guess rekeying is my future, and a 150 mile tow into the blast furnace of summery Phoenix to the shop.

Haynes manual

I'm sure it wasn't a Haynes manual that I saw it in as I don't own one. It was a BMW DVD for the early F800's that my dealer sold me in error as it didn't cover the GT. I exchanged it for the correct DVD and overwrote the old stuff as I had no need of it, or so I thought.

Stan

Thinking this is it...

That's the one I saw but can't find on the later DVD. Where did you find it?

Oh, I see, said the blind man who apparently has forgotten how computers work.......

I am so impressed that you knew where to look!!!!!

That's a resource that I didn't know about.

I've downloaded it and stored it for safe keeping on my system.

Thanks

Stan

Please don't disassemble the case.

You can remove the lock cylinder without a key so it can be re-keyed.

I have several videos on this if you look in the "do it yourself" section or they are on YouTube under the user name "Laguna"

You can also call me at the shop Legends Motorcycles in Fresno, 559.487.4774

With any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

The shop was able to remove the topcase. Then they disassembled it, found a bent plate, straightened the plate, and all works again. Topcase is also now keyed to my ignition key. The fix was almost the price that I paid for the topcase.

Gary

Archived