IGNORED

R1200RT 08 EU Spec

Caerleon

Hello all, I have tried asking BMW this question, but here in the UK they are not as good with customer care as in the USA.

I have an ex r1200rtp that has the entire loom replaced with a standard civilian one. But i still have alot of spare connectors inside the tupperware. I wanted to know if someone else has attempted to retrofit items onto the bike with the basic loom?

I have ordered the alarm as its in the loom, now if i have the standard loom can i add the computer functions if i change the handle bar switch? I have heated seats with the connectors, but no switches which one is on the handle bars.

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks for your help!

Evening Caerleon

Most of the add on items don't just plug in & work as they are mostly controlled by the ZFE module (body computer).

To get most plug in accessories to work you will need to have your BMW dealer re-program your ZFE (not cheap & in some cases not possible)

Ok thanks DR. Im off to spend a fortune at the main dealers on the 5th when they install the alarm module and program it. I will ask then if they can change the prog in the ZFE.

• 3 weeks later...

I found that the main cooling fan is still in position without the connections, so i will attempt to wire it in manually.

Does anyone have a link to the R1200RTP wiring diagram - i found one on searching the internet, but its in Russian!

I have the reprom disk that doesnt show that level of detail as far as i can see.

thanks for your help!

The Haynes manuals have schematics.

Evening aggieengineer

Is there a schematic in the Haynes for the RT-P (police bike) cooling fan?

Even the official BMW SLP wire diagrams doesn't have the police bike cooling fan wiring for the police bikes.

Might be something useful here at http://www.bmwmc.net/Gallery/Gallery.aspx - click "wiring" in the tag cloud. Lots of RTP info, though not the factory hexhead schematic. This site seems to change pretty often, so if you see something worthwhile, download it while you can.

It does provide the 2010-2014 factory RTP schematic (in German). I used Google to translate "fan" to "Lüfter", and Adobe Reader found the fan at connector M9141 in the pdf. I don't see any pictures to help identify the wire locations, though. I also wonder if the civilian wire harness would even have that connector.

The Haynes manuals have schematics.

Evening aggieengineer

Is there a schematic in the Haynes for the RT-P (police bike) cooling fan?

Even the official BMW SLP wire diagrams doesn't have the police bike cooling fan wiring for the police bikes.

Well, I pulled out my Haynes manual, went through the diagrams, and sure enough, nothing about the fan connection.

Sorry about the delay. We took a vacation and I don't carry a computer when I'm out to relax!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did you figure out your fan issue ?

I want to add a fan to mine but as you say no connector onthe civi loom. I also cant find an answer to what controls the fan. If it is the ZFE where does it get the signal from ?

Some have suggested thr RTP models have a modified sump plug with an oil temp sensor in it.

This has been bugging me for a while so I am keen to hear whats on your bike !

Did you figure out your fan issue ?

I want to add a fan to mine but as you say no connector onthe civi loom. I also cant find an answer to what controls the fan. If it is the ZFE where does it get the signal from ?

Some have suggested thr RTP models have a modified sump plug with an oil temp sensor in it.

This has been bugging me for a while so I am keen to hear whats on your bike !

Morning Greyscout

The fan is controlled by the BMS-K (fueling computer). Your standard civilian 1200RT won't have the wire harness or the internal firmware to operate the fan.

Most that do put an oil cooler fan on the 1200RT just use a manual switch & power relay to manually turn the fan on when they think the engine is getting hot.

You could add an oil plug sensor to control your relay but that is added work for not much gain.

Unless you are going to allow your 1200RT to idle for hours on the side or center stand with elevated engine RPM's (to keep the batteries charged) then you really don't need an oil cooler fan.

It takes a LOT to overheat a 1200RT, just because the dash gauge shows hot doesn't necessarily mean the engine is overheating as the dash gauge just shows the oil temp of the cooling oil BEFORE it enters the oil cooler-- it doesn't show engine sump oil temp.

You will know if/when you ever overheat a 1200RT as the engine will rattle like a bucket full of chains rolling down a hill. (a little high on the dash gage means nothing)

Archived