IGNORED

Toilet talk.....

OoPEZoO

I'm renovating a bathroom and need a new crapper. Whatcha got, whatcha like, and whatcha hate? Anything should be better than what I'm replacing (in function and efficiency).

So far, I have looked mostly at the dual flush variations from American Standard, Kohler, and Toto. Currently I'm leaning towards the Toto, but of course, the models I'm interested in are typically not stocked in the stores. Any thoughts or advice?

Installed Totos last year -- most efficient "bowl purger" I've ever seen. Worth every penny. Also has an available slow-drop seat cover; I thought it was silly at first, but it's nice to not have to futz with avoiding lid-drop-banging noise.

Those slow drop lids are great. We have one in one bathroom, but not the other. My Wife is a notorious lid dropper, but she is completely oblivious to it. Even when it is brought to her attention. You think she would learn after waking our toddler up for about the hundredth time, but no.....she still can't seem to make the connection.

Drop lid = loud noise = kid crying and/or awake at 5am. Seems simple enough to figure out for me. Maybe I just like sleeping more than she does..... :)

Joe Frickin' Friday

Toto toilet is good. If you've got money to burn and you want to live in luxury, consider installing a Washlet seat on it. Even if you don't care for the undercarriage-washing feature, the soft-close and heated seat are nice features to have. I've seen these in every hotel room in Japan, and even in some public restrooms in office buildings and department stores. The high-end units have wall-mounted wireless remotes and are integrated with the plumbing of the toilet so you can raise/lower the lid and seat with the touch of a button, command a flush, and so on; they'll even see you approaching and raise the lid for you.

We have been using PROFLO toilets for years in our homes. I personally have the elongated, comfort height (ADA) version and they are very reliable flushers. Very tough to clog, but easy to clear if they do. They are the house brand for Ferguson plumbing supply and they have locations everywhere. They're relatively inexpensive.

Now if you want features...I think the Numi is still King. It's an amazing toilet. :dopeslap:

Cost was about $7000 at the builder show a couple years ago. But that is the bluetooth version with the SD card. :rofl:

Dave_zoom_zoom

ALSO

The use of red and white corn cobs.

You know-------You use a red one, then a white one to see if you need another red one.

Dave :)

HAHAHAHA....Ferguson. That brought back a funny memory

Damn, I miss that show :rofl:

Wheewww, I thought this thread was derailing in hurry.

That was a funny show. Heck of a 10 year run.

Ok,$7000.00 for a toilet? Just out of curiosity, what do these things(toilets) cost these days? They only have to handle the 3 Ps.

My cousin actually recommended the glacier bay toilet with the dual flush option. He's had it for over a year and thinks it's great. It was still under $100 at the Depot. I'm just not sure if I can do it. From the research I had done, I had pretty much figured on spending about $300 for a decent toilet. My #1 goal is to never have to screw with whatever I end up installing, and I have heard too many stories about cheaper models not holding up over time. I don't want to be back in the tank replacing all of the guts in a year. Not that replacement stuff is expensive, it's just a PITA. It's also a given that plumbing emergencies in our family only happen when we are on vacation. In the last 10 years, our immediate family has lost 3 hot water heaters and had 2 toilet leaks......all while on vacation.

I replaced all of our with Kohlers from Lowes a couple years ago. I don't remember the model but they were a little over $200 each...ADA, elongated, etc. I was a little skeptical of the low flush but they work just fine...no issues at all. The ADA height is really nice for use old folks with old knees.

Regarding water leaks while on vacation...after the first time it happened to me I turn off the main water valve whenever we go anywhere for more than a day.

Aqua source jet flush to list at Lowe's. I think it was about $130.00. So far so good. Nice and high for ez sitting,nice elongated bowl and cover. One simple split button on top labeled. 1, II. The only drawback I have noticed is the cover will bend in when sat on. Any over capacity clogs will plunge with ease and will never overflow. I would give it four and a.half stars

My cousin actually recommended the glacier bay toilet with the dual flush option. He's had it for over a year and thinks it's great. It was still under $100 at the Depot. I'm just not sure if I can do it. From the research I had done, I had pretty much figured on spending about $300 for a decent toilet. My #1 goal is to never have to screw with whatever I end up installing, and I have heard too many stories about cheaper models not holding up over time. I don't want to be back in the tank replacing all of the guts in a year. Not that replacement stuff is expensive, it's just a PITA. It's also a given that plumbing emergencies in our family only happen when we are on vacation. In the last 10 years, our immediate family has lost 3 hot water heaters and had 2 toilet leaks......all while on vacation.

Ours is over 56 years old.

We have replaced the tank valve once.

Unacceptable.

;)

Oh, I do. Anytime we are leaving for more than a day or two, I always shut the water off at the main shutoff. I got "lucky" that both times I had an issue at my house, I was the only one away on vacation. Once was a leaky hot water heater, and once a leaky toilet. Both times, Danielle was home and I could talk her through shutting things down and making sure nothing got ruined. It was just funny that it happened two years in a row while I was away on either a motorcycle trip or a ski trip. My sister lost a hot water heater another year on one of our ski trips, plus a leaky toilet when they went to Vegas for a few days. Then my parents lost their hot water heater when my dad was away on a ski trip. Luckily there, I was around to get things fixed for my Mom. Nothing like emptying a basement of 6" of water with nothing other than an 8 gallon shop vac. I stopped counting after about 100 trips outside to dump it. Should have bought a pump and hose for that project.

I hate plumbing

This post is another example of why I am addicted to checking this site almost daily.

You never no what you are going to find here. Every question gets reasonable answer.

I've been pretty happy with a Costco bought one-piece comfort height dual flush model bought a couple of years ago. Recent Consumer Reports said none of the dual flush models tested were best rated; Now I'm just sort of happy with it.

You created a monster when you introduced one slow close lid in a house with two toilets. I quickly got used to our slow close but now constantly slam lids when were visiting family/friends who are without them. When you replace your problem toilet you can get another slow close lid and then your marriage will return a slam less, blissful state :grin:

Of course you could always opt for a composting toilet and then your plumbing woes would all be (half) over :rofl: damhik (our 2nd toilet is a composting unit)

. Then my parents lost their hot water heater when my dad was away on a ski trip. Luckily there, I was around to get things fixed for my Mom. Nothing like emptying a basement of 6" of water with nothing other than an 8 gallon shop vac. I stopped counting after about 100 trips outside to dump it. Should have bought a pump and hose for that project.

I hate plumbing

Done the 6" of water in a rental unit. That's when that expensive rental shop price for a pump starts looking pretty good. :) Let us know what you settle on and how it actually works.

Let us know what you settle on and how it actually works.

I will. I still have a little time to make a decision. I have to do quite a bit of drywall repair, pick out an overall color scheme, install a new tile floor, and pick out a new vanity/sink before I really start to worry about installing a toilet.

At my current rate of available free time......I will probably be flushing my new toilet just in time for Thanksgiving :rofl:

Let us know what you settle on and how it actually works.

I will. I still have a little time to make a decision. I have to do quite a bit of drywall repair, pick out an overall color scheme, install a new tile floor, and pick out a new vanity/sink before I really start to worry about installing a toilet.

At my current rate of available free time......I will probably be flushing my new toilet just in time for Thanksgiving :rofl:

That will work out perfectly! After the holidays you can haul all your tools out here and do all that to our bathroom. :)

Archived