IGNORED

Hello from Alberta

Oms

Hi all, have been browsing this site for quite a long time, and find a lot of good info and people on here. I posted a comment yesterday and realized it was #1, thought I had done intro a long time ago.

A long time rider, season 42 I think this year. I have done a lot of long distance solo riding which I really don't have enough time to do but have found more km/year over the past 4 or 5 years than I had in the previous 15-20. The wife has been my constant pillion partner for the past 4 or 5 years which probably accounts for the increased saddle time since she started coming on more rides.

Bought a 90th Anniversary R1200RT at the very end of the 2013 riding season. Had owned a 1984 R100RT which I rode for 9 or 10 years and put a lot of miles on. After a 2 week trip on the Sportster in 2013 we went looking for a touring bike for the 14 season. She liked the RT best of all the bikes we looked at, and I had no objection at all to another RT. Since last May we have put just over 30K Km on the bike, with a 24 day tour from Northern Alberta to the East Coast, PEI, Cape Breton, Boston and back. Only complaint is the seats, should have upgraded before the long trip.

Enough for now.

Greetings Oms. I am a new member and have just done an intro message this week too. You mentioned a ride to the east coast of Canada, which is a ride I've wanted to do for some time. I haven't started research yet on a trip, but would be interested in your recommendations. I was thinking Nova Scotia, PEI and Quebec City. Any suggestions (and pictures would be great)? I'd probably be riding up from Maine, or maybe Minnesota. My '13 RT is currently in Georgia, but I would like to make it up East before taking it out West in the next couple years. I'd also be riding double with my wife, Lisa.

Thanks

Hi guys, my wife and I did a cross Canada trip in 2010 and prepared a picture cd with music that we uploaded to the below web site. It requires an email address but I can assure you it is safe.

We also created a 60 page journal. If you would like a pdf file of it let me know and I will send it to you.

I posted this info to this site about 4 years ago so it is buried pretty deep but still in here somewhere.

: http://cloud.muvee.com/openalbum/crosscanada_adventure_summer_2010/TBa-kC7mqrc.

Regards, Basil.

Greetings Oms. I am a new member and have just done an intro message this week too. You mentioned a ride to the east coast of Canada, which is a ride I've wanted to do for some time. I haven't started research yet on a trip, but would be interested in your recommendations. I was thinking Nova Scotia, PEI and Quebec City. Any suggestions (and pictures would be great)? I'd probably be riding up from Maine, or maybe Minnesota. My '13 RT is currently in Georgia, but I would like to make it up East before taking it out West in the next couple years. I'd also be riding double with my wife, Lisa.

Thanks

Hello Ken. There is a lot of country out there with so many roads and things to see. We crossed below Lake Superior, passing through Minnesota Wisconsin and Northern Peninsula of Michigan. Now that is beautiful country. Smaller roads, small towns, great places to stop. Quebec City is very nice, very old and good food. If heading to Nova Scotia, the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton is a must ride. The trouble with big trips is you need lots of time to do it right. I would like to have taken 4 or 5 weeks instead of 3.

Welcome Oms:

Not many regular contributors from Canada to this board. But one of the longest serving (Lester V) also has the honour of being to every UnRally.

Consider including Spring or Fall Torrey or next year's UnRally in your travel plans. I've "dropped by" both while on longer trips and it's always nice to meet some of the people who are regulars or have helped me out when I have questions.

Mike Cassidy

Hi guys, my wife and I did a cross Canada trip in 2010 and prepared a picture cd with music that we uploaded to the below web site. It requires an email address but I can assure you it is safe.

: http://cloud.muvee.com/openalbum/crosscanada_adventure_summer_2010/TBa-kC7mqrc.

Thans Basil. Looks like a very nice trip -- and the recording was very well done. That has us even more interested in making the trip.

If heading to Nova Scotia, the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton is a must ride. The trouble with big trips is you need lots of time to do it right. I would like to have taken 4 or 5 weeks instead of 3.

Thanks Oms. We'll consider making the trip from my wife's family's place in Minnesota. Sounds like a nice trip.

Hello and welcome. I too ride 2-up ... a whole lot ... because my wife really enjoys riding, which in turn translates to more time riding for me as well.

Enjoy the new ride, and this remarkable community as well.

Welcome Oms

I'm leaving on Tuesday for Nova Scotia and plan a similar route to yours, after a short stay with relatives I plan on crossing over to New Newfoundland. On he return trip the plan is to drop down to the Blue Ridge Parkway and cross off another bucket list item.

Ron in Calgary

Hello and welcome. I too ride 2-up ... a whole lot ... because my wife really enjoys riding, which in turn translates to more time riding for me as well.

Enjoy the new ride, and this remarkable community as well.

Indeed, if the Missus is game to tag along, saddle time is much easier to work into a regular thing. But sometimes it's tough to get out solo, I truly enjoy, and at times miss, my solo rides because I go as I please on whatever route or pace I please, and not have to worry about, or consider the passenger. The ride is not new by any means anymore, she turned over 31K this afternoon coming home from Calgary.

Thanks and Cheers

Omer

Welcome Oms

I'm leaving on Tuesday for Nova Scotia and plan a similar route to yours, after a short stay with relatives I plan on crossing over to New Newfoundland. On he return trip the plan is to drop down to the Blue Ridge Parkway and cross off another bucket list item.

Ron in Calgary

Hello Ron

The Rock and Yukon are the one Province and Territory I have not made it too yet. Several friends have done the trip and said it is fantastic riding. Just be well aware there are something like 1 million Moose wandering the Rock, they are the biggest cause of MV accidents, you do not want to tangle with a Swamp Donkey. Have a great trip. Another tip, hide your keys if you are going to spend an evening on George Street. Enjoy your trip.

Cheers

Omer

Thanks Ohm

My Alaska and Yukon trip two years ago was eventful (check out one of my earlier posts). This trip will fill up my Province map and hopefully the last of the States on my bucket list.

I see by your post you returned home from Calgary, are you close enough for frequent trips?

Take care

Ron

Live in Slave Lake, wife's family in Cowtown and 2 kids in Airdrie, make it down there 3-4 times a year. Niece wedding this weekend so special trip, had to bail on a charity run our local group had planned for the last year. Try to avoid the Cities as much as possible, like the small town thing.

Oms

Archived