IGNORED

Darla light install

Slyder_Steve

Slyder_Steve

So I purchased a set of Darla LED lights from Clearwater. I ordered the fork mounted version to install on my 14 RT. There's a couple of reasons I bought from them: integrated with my "wonder wheel", functionality, and excellent reviews on numerous boards--even made in the USA.

BL: I do love the functionality of the lights and the seamless integration on my 14 RT. However, I am less than impressed with the installation instructions for my bike. My best advice for any prospective buyers is to use the instructions up to the point of plugging in the canopener--from then on you're pretty much on your own. Best bet is to review the diagram to see what is involved--not too tough, but not exactly step-by-step straight forward either.

I sent Clearwater my step-by-step critique of their install instructions a couple of weeks ago and have yet to get even a acknowledgement.

Happy with the product; expected more from their customer service. Hope I don't need to ask for warranty assistance.

YMMV

Slyder

I agree - instructions were fine. I've put the Darlas, Kristas, Ericas, and other accessories on multiple bikes. Never an issue.

-MKL

Slyder_Steve

Well, for discussion sake, I'll say the instructions are rudimentary--for some pretty darn expensive lights I expected better.

I received a note from Clearwater yesterday thanking me for my inputs...which are being incorporated into their improved installation instructions.

Love the lights!

Now back to your regularly scheduled ride...

Steve

For the price of their lights I would have thought they would fly a technician to install them, a masseuse to massage your neck and back, and a chef to prepare you a tasty snack.

For the price of their lights.....

They are a bit pricey! I hope they are worth it.

I'm in the middle of installing my Darla Lights on my new F800GT. I found the instructions adequate. Biggest problem is BMW's lack of wiring diagrams for the bike.

Stan

Thanks for your efforts Steve. Clearwater lights are next on my list and I appreciate clear, step-by-step instructions. Maybe they will incorporate your suggestions before I order...otherwise, you'll be getting a request from me.

Ken

Thanks for your efforts Steve. Clearwater lights are next on my list and I appreciate clear, step-by-step instructions. Maybe they will incorporate your suggestions before I order...otherwise, you'll be getting a request from me.

Hi Steve, :wave:

Me too! Plan to install mine this weekend so expect a call! :)

Hi Gary,

This weekend, any time Saturday morning or after 11:00 am Sunday.

Fly in the ointment is I want them under the oil cooler, not on the forks (MotoLights there). I think I have a mount that will allow that to happen.

Tupperware already removed.

Considering how many potential models and mounting options Clearwater has to make instructions for I think they do a pretty good job. My model doesn't have a "wonder wheel" but I appreciate the "full intensity" the Canopener allows with the use of the horn or flashing the brights.

They sent me two sets of instructions to cross cover some of the things I would need to do using a 3rd party lightbar for mounting and Fuzeblock as the power source.

Mike Cassidy

• 4 weeks later...
So I purchased a set of Darla LED lights from Clearwater. I ordered the fork mounted version to install on my 14 RT. There's a couple of reasons I bought from them: integrated with my "wonder wheel", functionality, and excellent reviews on numerous boards--even made in the USA.

BL: I do love the functionality of the lights and the seamless integration on my 14 RT. However, I am less than impressed with the installation instructions for my bike. My best advice for any prospective buyers is to use the instructions up to the point of plugging in the canopener--from then on you're pretty much on your own. Best bet is to review the diagram to see what is involved--not too tough, but not exactly step-by-step straight forward either.

I sent Clearwater my step-by-step critique of their install instructions a couple of weeks ago and have yet to get even a acknowledgement.

Happy with the product; expected more from their customer service. Hope I don't need to ask for warranty assistance.

YMMV

Slyder

As someone already suggested... Why don't you put your instructions here for all of us to benefit?

My disappointment with the instructions regards the BMW factory bracket. Clearwater sells them with their 2014 RTW kit (optional) and apparently includes hardware to attach them, but their only directions assumes the brackets are already mounted. I say the hardware is apparently included because they have included 2 extra bolts, 2 washers & 2 nylock nuts. No directions, just appear to fit right. (BMW microfiche only indicates 2 bolts, as brackets are threaded already). Not a deal breaker here by any means, but for $1100+ they could do better.

Sorry I don't have the talent to add pics here, seems overly complicated!

I installed some Darla lights last weekend with the BMW factory brackets. Got a little hung up with the brackets because the picture on the Clearwater website was wrong. Compare their pic with this one. Not a big deal since the BMW packaging indicates which is right and left and there's only one way they will fit to avoid hitting the Tupperware.

Like others, I found the instructions adequate. I couldn't figure out how to attach the relay the way they indicated so I installed it under the fairing on the right side since the wires were long enough.

moonie: What pics do you want to see? Clearwater has many on their site. Was there something specific?

Ken

The Krista instructions don't include that diagram. The ziplock bag containing the attachment bolts (bracket to engine) also contain one washer and one nylock nut. Did yours or perhaps these are added security for the heavier lights?

Again, this is no deal breaker, but you/we shouldn't have to go looking elsewhere. I should just ride to the BMW showroom and check it out underneath ;-)

Archived