IGNORED

Black Engine Spoiler Swap??

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

My '09 RT is black and has Silver "Engine Spoilers" wrapping around the cylinder heads and going back to the rear foot pegs. I was thinking about swapping them out for black ones, just to give the bike a more "cohesive" and/or "stealth" look, only if I can find them for a stupid low price ($410 per side new....I think not!), as this makes no common sense at all. Pics below are not my bikes, just an example as black spoilers seem to have come on red and silver RT's, but not black RT's. First, how do you think my bike would look with them installed, and second, have you ever seen a bike with that combination, as I can't seem to find any pictures anywhere?

Thanks.

black_zps9g68vw0k.jpgsilver_zpscawe3r0y.jpg

red_zpsmknkava2.jpg

I think the lower fairings on the red and silver bikes are really "Dark Graphite". So, dark gray rather than a true black. It might still look good, though. Unless you can find someone that wants to swap fairing lowers with you, I think it will be cheaper and quicker to find a body shop to repaint your silver panels.

The Rocketman

It only came in 2 colors:

Slate Dark

White Aluminum

Was considering paint, but chips and scuffs would always be possible. The OEM ones I guess are black through and through and I think less worries. Would consider swapping with someone else who wants silver or will scour EBAY. Thanks.

Slate Dark

White Aluminum

Was considering paint, but chips and scuffs would always be possible. The OEM ones I guess are black through and through and I think less worries. Would consider swapping with someone else who wants silver or will scour EBAY. Thanks.

Powder coat?

aggieengineer

Slate Dark

White Aluminum

Powder coat?

Plastic. Not an option.

I've wanted to do this too. I was thinking of doing a vinyl wrap. This way, I can change the color and go back to OEM if wanted.

The twist and turns on these would make it an "interesting" project though.

Good luck.

The Rocketman

I think I'm going to hold out for the baked in plastic OEM dark ones. I think my shins rubbing, rocks flying and other wear and tear might make some type of covering look sad in the short term.

I think I'm going to hold out for the baked in plastic OEM dark ones.

I'm *pretty* sure that the black, like the silver/gray, are painted, i.e., you are not seeing molded-in surface color.

There is somebody on ebay selling 2014RTW parts as new crate damaged. I don't know the person or anything about them. You can find what they have by searching ebay with this.

2014 BMW R1200RT PREMIUM 0 MILE CRATE DAMAGED

I didn't see any panels, but send them a note...you never know.

The Rocketman

Mark,

You are correct. I did verify with 2 BMW dealers this morning that they are indeed gray primed when new, and painted either slate Dark or White Aluminum at the factory. Holt BMW (paint gurus extraordinaire) said it would be less expensive to buy 2 new ones at $410 per side, than to send them mine for a re-paint. With the cost of shipping both ways, prep work, etc. at $100/hr labor, it would be cost prohibitive. I did, however, receive a PM from another member here who is considering swapping with me. That would be ideal if it works out.

• 1 month later...

I found a great guy in Mississippi with a silver '06RT that came with black engine spoilers who is swapping his black ones for my silver ones. Mine shipped out Saturday. Can't wait to get his installed and see what it looks like :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2005 with a silver spoiler. I never knew that dark was an option. I think ti would look better in black. But, I think it would be higher maintenance with rocks, dings, bugs, etc.

I am just glad my bike runs like a champ with 66k on it.

I found a great guy in Mississippi with a silver '06RT that came with black engine spoilers who is swapping his black ones for my silver ones. Mine shipped out Saturday. Can't wait to get his installed and see what it looks like :)

Can we get some pictures? I am tired of looking at old Playboy issues... :grin:

The Rocketman

The swap has been completed. Jay in Mississippi has my '09 silver engine spoilers on his silver '06RT, and I now have his slate dark spoilers on my black bike. Waiting to take pics of mine, and as soon as I can figure out how to get his pics off my iPhone, I'll post them all here. We're both very pleased with the results.

The Rocketman

Here are pics of Jay's bike, with all silver side panels now. I think he even has a silver seat! I also sent him the silver side cover extenders I got from Wunderlich. I bought the black extensions yesterday as well as an all black Wunderlich top case rack. I'll try to take some pics of my all black panels later today.

3%20new_zpsdatza1jt.jpg

2%20new_zpskzjaixhe.jpg

1%20new_zpsozn6p8cj.jpg

The Rocketman

OK. Here you go:

Before:

Lary%20old_zps9awsyl4i.jpg

Afters:

larry3_zpsb4ao3axd.jpg

larry1_zpsveu6zdib.jpg

larry4_zps9r9cpkls.jpg

larry5_zpscxewhn95.jpg

larry2_zps4aujagnl.jpg

larry6_zpsho2qrnmg.jpg

For me...I think it was well worth the $50 in shipping and the effort. Think this is how these bikes should have come from the factory (at least the black or silver ones), or at least should have been a buyer option. I think I'm happier now. Its the little things that generally make me smile.

I agree

The silver didn't look bad but the black RT looks much better with these panels.

:thumbsup:

The silver looks better on my sand beige 07 though.

Good move.

Interesting thread. When I saw the 2006 R1200RT (that I ended up buying) in the showroom, it had the "black" lower spoiler (or whatever it's called). I didn't like it and asked the sales manager whether they could switch it for the silver one on another bike. I was surprised when he said yes, without any hesitation. There was no extra charge for the swap. I always thought my bike looked better with the silver lower (and I never saw another one with that combo).

The Rocketman

I guess great minds think alike. :)

Two tone is fine for some. I just prefer all one color. Its not an exact match. Looks like different shades of black-to-dark gray depending on how the light hits it. But so far I like it, and glad others do too.

• 2 weeks later...

The Black bike with the dark graphite looks great! My Biarritz Blue 2009 RT was purchased via european delivery and the silver or dark graphite were a choice from the factory. It is similar to BMW Individual for the cars where you get more color choices.

Archived