IGNORED

Socket and Hex for Swingarm Pivot Pin and Collar Nut

MontanaBud

Where can I find (buy or borrow) the open sided socket for the swingarm collar nut?

I believe I have a solid theory about my '04RT's vibration - the driveshaft. What I read here points directly to that as the problem, and I'm ready to dive in, but I need the special tools to reassemble the swingarm and final drive. I can find them reasonably priced on fleabay, but they'll come from the UK, with delivery expected within 30 days. I can't wait that long.

I can't find them on the bmw parts fische. Any suggestions?

I was able to do mine with a combination of the correct metric allen socket and an SAE box wrench. A whole set of metric allen sockets is quite reasonable at Harbor Freight. If memory serves me right, the SAE wrench was around a 1 1/8" or so. Measure the collar nut carefully to get the right size. A cheap caliper works best and is a good tool to have around. You can also measure with a good tape measure or straight edge. You'll measure from one flat side of the hex to the other.

You don't need one. Put loctite on the hex and torque it to the proper amount. Allow the Loctite to set. Then torque the lock nut. This seems to work fine for the 200,000 miles I have on my two R bikes.

But how do you measure torque with a box wrench?

I readily admit that I often do not use a torque wrench for lots of situations like this. If you done a fair amount of mechanical work you should be able to be close enough. Many torque values are just not that critical. What is critical in this job is to throughly clean the old locktite out of all threads. I used the small wire brushes made for a Dremel...and I emphasize brushes because it took more than one. The locktite dust just kept coming and coming.

I agree with eddd; you don't really need a torque wrench to set the preload ajuster. I turn it until there is no free play, then back off ~1/8 turn. The hard part is keeping the adjuster's position constant while torqueing down the big lock nut.

Archived