IGNORED

Brake pads

Ride Slow

Going to have the front wheel off shortly for a new tire. Might be a good time to toss in some new pads. Looking around, I find EBC Organic and Sintered, and the Boneyard has Carbone Lorraine. Bike is run all year, in the Seattle area. On some of the posts I read about pads, the writer refers to notches. I am not seeing any notches on the pads. What are folks recommending? Thanks.

Ride Slow : Most brands of front pads have a vertical groove down the middle of the pad:

41TUtgpTZnL._SY355_.jpg

If you aren't seeing a groove, either the pads are at or beyond their minimum thickness, or you have a pad that didn't have the groove to start with.

When replacing pads, use something like Scotch Brite with ample quantities of brake parts cleaner to clean the rotors thoroughly before installing new pads. Brakes work by depositing a small amount of pad material on the rotor, and you need to remove this residue before using new pads.

Some manufacturers don't put the notch in.

It is no big deal. All part of the routine maintenance.

I always keep a spare set of pads in the workshop. When I wash the bike I take a gander in the disc access point. If there is pad material there (like oil in the sightglass too) I am good to go.

I personally like the EBC HH pads.

Some manufacturers don't put the notch in.

It is no big deal. All part of the routine maintenance.

I always keep a spare set of pads in the workshop. When I wash the bike I take a gander in the disc access point. If there is pad material there (like oil in the sightglass too) I am good to go.

I personally like the EBC HH pads.

Disc access point? Tell me more about this - I usually resort to pulling the caliper to check the front pads on my R1100RT. I'm hoping you're about to tell me that's just because I haven't' been smart enough to know about this...

Disc access point? Tell me more about this - I usually resort to pulling the caliper to check the front pads on my R1100RT. I'm hoping you're about to tell me that's just because I haven't' been smart enough to know about this...

I borrow my wife's hand mirror. Shine a flashlight on the mirror so the light reflects back up into the caliper. You will easily see the pad material and how much thickness is left. I'm not aware of an access point to view the pads on an R1100RT.

On the rear face (not the inboard face) Just below the bleed nipple where the keeper pin passes through.

Turn the handlebars to full lock and look in down that rear face and you will see the pads. from that you can see how much friction material is left on each of the metal backing plates.

Archived