IGNORED

This RTW is hot!

cooptroop

So...I came from an '05 RT, and I'm used to the wonderful weather protection and how that can make one hot in the hot and humid summer. What I'm not used to is the raging fire I seem to have on my legs with the RTW. OK, so it's not that bad, but it is pretty significant. Very hot air blowing on my shins and feet and then eventually building around my inner thighs. If I tuck in tight behind the fairing, my feet get out of the hot air for the most part, but the lower legs are still getting battered. Left is worse than right for me. I'm uncomfortable if it's above 75 degrees outside, which is pretty much always from June to Sept, and my level of discomfort obviously increases the higher the ambient temp.

I'm curious what other RTW riders think about the heat this bike generates, and what you do to compensate, if anything. I'm I the only one that is bothered by it?

I find my streetguard 3 pants help protect me from the heat. I used to wear Duluth fire hose pants in the summer, but those let way too much heat in now. I also have a beadrider, thinking it helps move some of the trapped hot air out. Highway pegs help some, but portions of my legs are still in the hot air.

Other than the heat, this is the absolute perfect bike for me. Love everything else about it.

Panhandle Chuck

My previous bike was a 2010 GSA, so no water cooling. I've only been on 150 mile day rides thus far on the RTW. It's really hot in the Florida panhandle right now so perhaps I just can't differentiate the weather from the bike. I don't notice any significant heat in a specific location. I do hear the fans kick on and off for cooling. I've read on a few forums other rider's mention heat from the radiator/fans/and cooling.

Unusual for around here but we've had quite a heat wave this summer with regular commutes in the 80s and I've found the bike more than tolerable. Touring in Eastern Washington's dryer climate at 103 degrees was also not an issue not disregarding using appropriately vented gear and hydration.

I've owned a 05 and a08 RT. put lots of miles on both in the heat (Arizona). I now have

15 RT. Just came back from the rally in Montana in the hot. I don't notice any big difference in wet head. Love this bike! GT

What riding boots?

I'm also in VA, with wethead, camhead and oilhead RTs. I daily commute in DC year-around (including today).

I wear BMW Allround boots which keep the heat off my ankles and lower leg. I also have not "felt" any heat rising up above the shin, either when wearing Darien AD-1 pants or just my office suit pants (said while sheepishly acknowledging I'm not always ATGATT on 95-105F commutes). All of the RTs feel the same wrt heat to me.

Sorry, substantial boots that cover the ankle/lower leg is all I have to offer! My K16s in the summer I could feel the blistering heat from the exhaust catalytic converters through the boots; nothing on the RTs with the same boots.

I too had a 2003 ST1300 and in the summer the tank would get scary hot, then I had a 2012 concours again lots of hot air.

Now on a 2015 R1200RT what heat? seems cool to me

Dave

I have to echo your experience. I Put nearly 100k miles combined on '05 and '11 RTs and never experienced any significant heat concerns. But, I noticed a difference immediately on the RTW. Anything over 80 F air temp and it's definitely hot behind the fairing. I've tried vented gear which works great on the torso, but just seems to flow hot air below the knee, particularly if you get your leg out from behind the fairing and into the airstream. So, I haven't found a great solution yet. However, it's a small price to pay for such a fun bike!

All the GS and especially the GSA riders are experiencing the same issue.

Does not really bother me on my 14 GSA until outside temps get above 90.

Some is due to the proximity of the catalytic converter to R foot/lower leg and part due the airflow thru right radiator.

I notice no issues on the left side,even in 100 plus temps.

Some folks over on ADVRider are experimenting with various heat shields,ducts,no definite great results yet.

JR356

Yep, I also feel the same thing, but nowhere near as bad as what you described though! In hot summer weather, I usually wear shorts under my mesh riding over-pants, and so my legs are pretty much bare. I do feel the heat on my shin and foot on the left side, but nothing noticeable on the right side. That is probably because the right vent has the fan to blow hot air further out into the slip-stream, while the left has just the natural flow-through the radiator. In contrast, when riding my (previous) '07 RT, I rarely felt any heat coming off the engine at all. The only times would be on a very hot day, and at very low speed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've complained about the heat on my 15' RT/LC on these forums, the responses seem to be like I'm the only one feeling heat from this bike. I wear tall Sidi boots, heat resistant socks I got from firefighters supply and still after about 30 min it is just about unbearable. I recently installed Suburban Machines foot peg lowering kit and it has changed the heat from my feet to my shins and that is more bearable. I believe it is coming from the CAT so I may get the Remus kit to remove it. This is only when the temps are about 85 which is all summer long here. I used to ride an FJR and after many attempts to shield the heat away I sold it because I couldn't take the heat.

I've complained about the heat on my 15' RT/LC on these forums, the responses seem to be like I'm the only one feeling heat from this bike. I wear tall Sidi boots, heat resistant socks I got from firefighters supply and still after about 30 min it is just about unbearable.

I feel heat on my right lower leg on my RT. I have highway pegs that allow me to cool down my leg in the worst conditions. Which means 100+ degree air temps. I have tried the tall boots I have, as well as tall socks to see if that helps. It does not. In fact once they get hot I seems I just cannot get relief! My mesh Motoport lets in heat easier than the Aerostich. But the mesh also cools down in the breeze quickly. I have found that placing the balls of my feet on the pegs and tucking in my knees helps. While I wish that heat wasn't a bother, I'll take that any day over the heat that came up from the handlebar area from the oil cooler on my old RT.

The heat I feel is mostly on my right foot (now leg with the peg lowering kit). Moving the heat from my foot to my leg is better in that my pants leg cools down faster than my boot/foot when I move my leg out into the air. I'll rife this way a while if it isn't the answer I think since most of the heat is on the right side that it maybe coming from the CAT. I may get the Remus head pipes (w/o a CAT) and hope it works out.

I wear jeans and hiking type shoes (see link) to and from work almost every day. 35 minutes to work and 45-60 on the way home in 90-110 degree temps. I am not seeing the heat problem that you are. Might try something a little lighter to see if the boots and heavy socks are part of the problem?

I've tried multiple boot/sock combinations none have worked for me.

I do have very sensitive feet to heat, I rarely wear shoes and socks, mostly sandals when I leave the house (I work from home, don't get out much)

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/koven

Most of the best I notice on 14 is on left side. Not to bad unless I put feet on hiway legs then legs are hot and feel heat up along side tank and crutch area. Like some one else said If you keep knees tucked in hardly noticeable. My 02 worth

Does Baker Built offer their Air Wings for the RTW? Something to divert a bit of airflow would probably be helpful for those who are experiencing discomfort.

Does Baker Built offer their Air Wings for the RTW? Something to divert a bit of airflow would probably be helpful for those who are experiencing discomfort.

I contacted them and they don't have anything specific for our bikes but did say that the wings for the s1000r would fit with some drilling.

Archived