IGNORED

Lateral movement in the final drive

Alba

I have the rear wheel off my '02 115-RT and an MOT this weekend, as such I was checking for rear wheel play. I grabbed the rear of the final drive and moved it lateral to the pivot arm and there is a very small degree movement is this normal?

Alba,

I'm sure some more knowledgeable members can reply better.

A few months ago I had very minimal movement on my 02 1150 wheel.

I looked into it further and found the swing arm bearings where shot at the final drive end. The front swing arm bearings were still ok but just a tad loose.

Easy to fix yourself. Need a butane torch and a special socket and hex tool. You can order the tools on-line. I'll see if I can dig up the link

Indy

I found a slight amount of lateral play in the pivot pins and just cleaned and inspected, lubed with a liberal amount of Bel-Ray Assembly Lube with moly, assembled and re-torqued pins and lock nuts. That was last winter and all is good. I heated the pins with a propane torch with flame right to the head of the pins. Don't spare the heat!

Many thanks guys, the youtube clip was very useful, my movement is not as bad as that so i'll chance getting it through its MOT and fix it over the winter.

That was my video and it turned out that the pivot pin bearings were falling apart. The bearing cage is plastic and some of the rollers fell out. I suggest you open it up and examine it. May just need greased and adjusted.

I noticed the rear end felt squeamish on corners!

That was my video and it turned out that the pivot pin bearings were falling apart. The bearing cage is plastic and some of the rollers fell out. I suggest you open it up and examine it. May just need greased and adjusted.

I noticed the rear end felt squeamish on corners!

Thanks for the heads up .... a little out of my comfort zone this one but will get to it sooner now.

Hey Pas, do you still have the link for the socket and hex tools?

I can't find them in my neanderthal way of searching.

TIA

Indy

The part number is 4740 from thetoolacademy.com. Bought thru Ebay. Fit my 03 R1150RT Good luck!

swing arm tool

Alba,

check out this thread on advrider http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rear-pivot-bearing-details.977621/. I've installed a different, more expensive, solution provided to me by Ted Porter in Scotts Valley, CA and it is still tight after ~20000 miles. When I replaced my oem bearing the race was damage from the bearings beating against it. A bushing is the best way to go IMO.

Tom

Sorry Trobinson, I have to disagree, the plain bearing route is NOT the best way.

The OEM bearing is absolutely fine. It just needs greasing once on installation and then it needs to be set up correctly on fitment, which with all clean components is very easy to do.

Can you clarify two points for me;

Should there by any play (currently estimated at less than 1 mm)?

Is the play a result of pinion bearing wear or the internals of the final drive?

Can you clarify two points for me;

Evening Alba

Should there by any play (currently estimated at less than 1 mm)?-- Should be NO play in pivot bearings & the final drive crown bearing WAS originally set up with preload (0 play) but there is no real wear limit specified so the crown bearing CAN go to a little play & be normal. If your play is ALL in the crown bearing then that is a lot of bearing play though.

Is the play a result of pinion bearing wear or the internals of the final drive?

-- Pinion bearing has no input on your measured play (or loose wheel). Pinion bearing is a different animal. No way to know where the wear is until you look at it then tell us what is moving in relation to what.

Alba, have you identified if the play is coming from:

a/. The main crown wheel bearing of the FD.

b/. The FD pivot where it attachedes to the Swing Arm.

c/. The Swing arm where it attached to the motorcycle frame?

Alba, have you identified if the play is coming from:

a/. The main crown wheel bearing of the FD.

b/. The FD pivot where it attachedes to the Swing Arm.

c/. The Swing arm where it attached to the motorcycle frame?

Good news is the old girl got through her MOT with no advisories :) does not make the play issue any less concerning for me.

Andy I'll hold my hands up to only being an enthusiastic amateur and talking with a GS owner and describing my issue he believes it to be the "Paralever bearings" and a trip to a BMW garage with the right tools with fix the issue.

From your list I can role out C but not sure how to distinguish between A & B.

Archived