IGNORED

Hard Starting my '11 RT the Morning After Riding in the Rain??

Michael B

Something new with my 2011 R1200 RT with 54K:

Just got back from a 4K trip out west. Twice in the morning after riding in the rain the day before, my trusty RT didn't want to start...first morning was left on side stand, second time on center stand (can't imagine there being any difference). Anyway, starting both times so difficult I had to gun the throttle to keep it from dying. Every other time starting was as easy as usual. After five minutes on the road...as smooth as ever. All other times my RT ran like a scalded dog. Did a GS-911 looking for codes and there were none. Just before leaving I did a full 12K maintenance routine with all new fluids, air filter, and plugs. Go figure? Maybe my mechanical beast hates getting rained on more than I do, or possibly I need a really big umbrella!

This has never happened before. Any thoughts?

Also, just for a fun fact I now have a smidgen over 15,000 miles on my Michelin PR4 GT rear tire, and looks like enough rubber for another 1,500-2,000, maybe. Got 13,900 on my previous PR3 non-GT. My RT came with Metzler Z6's and I got 11,000 on them thinking that was pretty good...but PR's ROCK! Just thought you guys would like to know.

Thanks for any help on the rain thing. Cheers!

Guest Kakugo

This may be a long shot but... how was the temperature during the night in those two days? It may be a cold-related battery issue (which wouldn't show on the GS-911): I had it happen a couple of times in the past when I was on the OE battery and bike was left outside in cold temperature overnight.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a techie in any way, so I generally don't know what I'm talking about.

The switches on my 2010 were replaced under recall not long ago. Could that be an issue here?

---John.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my handlebar switches replaced under warranty and one of the first questions they asked was "do you have a stalling issue on startup?"

Is this an isolated issue or something more common?

Thanks, guys, for your suggestions. However, the guru at my independent bike repair shop (that specializes in BMW's) immediately said it was water getting into the fuel system. He removed something from the round fuel thingy (obviously, I'm not a techie) from the assembly that sits on the top left of the fuel tank (sitting on the bike), put some kind of grease on it, and reinstalled it. I'm hopeful that is the solution. We'll see. Anyway, thanks for your input!

Archived