IGNORED

older gerbings heated clothing vs 2015RT

BMWHELYUN

Hey guys...Can you help me with advice with hooking up older Gerbings heated jacket w a "trailer" type connector to the new RT portals. is there a special adapter or?? thanks in advance

According to Gerbings, you can't power your older Gerbings heated gear from the power outlet on the 2015 R1200RT. Those power outlets are only good for drawing 5 watts and your gear will draw at least 7 watts. The only choice is to power them direct from the battery.

Well they would be wrong depending on age. My Gerbings is about 7 years old. I powered jacket and gloves off of the one plug up front last winter many times. Never an issue. Yes mine is a 14 not a 15...but seriously doubt any changes were made to that circuit.

That's good to know. I just went with Gerbing's response after my call to them and a call to my dealer who said the power outlets are good for 5 watts.

I bought my Garbing jacket back in 2002 and I have powered it from the power outlet on my 2014 RT. My understanding is that the current available to the outlets was raised to 10 Amps. But if you have 2 outlets, they share the current. But as long as only one item is plugged in your good to go.

Bill

The newer RT's can handle up to 10 amps. BMW changed it to 10 amps before the Wethead, sorry I don't remember when. I have the older Gerbing made in the USA with wires like the old heated blankets, it has the coax connection not the SAE as shown above. I can run it with the older G3 gloves all on at the same time through the power outlet.

On the ride to the National last month a bud has a 13 R1200GS, he needed air, my Aerostich compressor shut down the cam bus, another buds 14R1200RT was park next to his we use his power outlet.

I recently installed the wireless controller from Warm N Safe, it's connected to a fuse panel. I think it's a good way to go, I'm not happy with the locations of the power outlets for this application. I prefer the connection on the left side under the riders seat.

Jay

My 14 RTW would not power just the Gerbing jacket. It should according to the specs of 10amp. The jacket is less than 10 amps. There wasn't anything plugged into the rear port. I put a permanent Gerbing dual controller in and went straight to the battery with a 15 amp fuse. It handles jacket, gloves, pants and socks with no problem. I do carry extra fuses knowing I am pushing the limits but have not blown one yet.

Archived