IGNORED

Servoectomy performed - my impressions

kioolt

On the way back for the MOA rally in Billings my 04R1150RT with 161k miles on it decided that it was time for the servo to give up while I was passing through Cincinatti. I was lucky enough to find a very nice MOA member in the anonymous book to store it for me until I could return to pick it up. While at the rally I bought Galfer stainless steel brake lines for it. After getting the bike back home I did the servoectomy on it. I really didn't want to take the ABS off of the bike since it worked so well for me for 11 years and 161k miles. Not only did I only have residual braking but my brake light was not working. The brain of the ABS controls that so when it died so did my brake light.

My first impressions of the bike after the servoectomy is that the brakes are indeed plenty strong enough without the servo assist. I will have to be careful until I get use to them to keep from locking them up. I did the servoectomy in such a way that it will be easy to go back to ABS if it becomes cost effective. There is a company in Idaho that is in the development stage for rebuilding the servos. I will most likely get the servo rebuilt if the price is right.

I didn't do it as often as recommended. I would say I changed the fluid every 2 to 3 years. I had no meaningful problem up until the time that it wouldn't even go through startup diagnostics. Just plane dead. My GS911 wouldn't read it. I was loaded two up for my trip to Billings and didn't want to try to make it back to Baltimore with residual brakes and no brake light.

I did my brake fluid change easily withing the recommended time frame. Mine still failed.

But for new eyes reading these threads, the bike has wonderful brakes with the Servo removed. I would add a caveat to that. The rear brake can feel a little less than brilliant. I changed the rear brake pedal for a smaller bored item from the 1100 just to generate better rear pedal feel. My Servo system has been removed for about 40000 miles and am VERY pleased with the results.

If a repair ever became available, I wouldn't do it for 3 reasons.

1/. Just isn't cost effective on a bike this old.

2/. I could't psychologically face another scenario where they failed on me again. The first time was too much like a meeting with the Grim Reaper!

3/. The time taken to plumb the old pipework back together.

If anyone needs a step by step walk through for removing their Servo unit and reverting to 'normal' brakes, PM me with your email address and I will send the pictorial walk-thru to you.

I guess I'm one of the few people that really liked the servo brakes when working. I plan on reinstalling it if it doesn't cost me too much. I don't know what the company in Idaho will charge for rebuilding the servos when they finally start but I will be checking them out. I used the no-cost (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/232002-Simple-NO-COST-servo-removal-of-1150-IABS-system) method of removing the servo. I did not however cut the electric plug off as directed to.

I guess I'm one of the few people that really liked the servo brakes when working. I plan on reinstalling it if it doesn't cost me too much. I don't know what the company in Idaho will charge for rebuilding the servos when they finally start but I will be checking them out. I used the no-cost (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/232002-Simple-NO-COST-servo-removal-of-1150-IABS-system) method of removing the servo. I did not however cut the electric plug off as directed to.

I also like the whizzy brakes. Last I heard, Module Masters may have finally sourced the piezo-pressure sensors and is closer to offering refurb services.

One can hope as the cost difference between Module Masters and BMW is huge.

But, this is a very active, and very old thread over at K bikes where we have been tantalized with "close" for years.

Not a criticism of MM in any way.

I keep fingers crossed and hope like heck they succeed as options are limited to OEM $$$$ and them (for the models they can do now) $.

Best wishes.

The only good reason I can see for keeping the servo system is re-sale. I have approached 3 BMW dealers about trading in my '04RT after removing the ABS system and all three declined because of the brake issue. One dealer told me that if he took the bike in on trade he would probably be forced to part it out. I can certainly understand this reluctance from a dealers point of view. One dealer might have accepted the bike if the ABS had been removed by a dealer.

I've pretty much decided to just keep the bike indefinitely with no plans to sell. Besides, without the ABS best price I could get selling myself is maybe 4K if I'm lucky and the hassle factor alone would just not be worth it. It's a might nice pristine condition RT with about 41K miles and GREAT brakes. :thumbsup:

You are definitely correct.

Most if not all would prefer to avoid any potential liability

for that kind of modification.

Food for thought.

such a way that it will be easy to go back to ABS if it becomes cost effective. There is a company in Idaho that is in the development stage for rebuilding the servos. I will most likely get the servo rebuilt if the price is right.

It's called Module Masters (Link). It's in Moscow, ID. We were there for UnRally XIII, and went to their place and checked it out. They rebuild ABS modules and power brake boosters for GM, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, and BMW motorcycles, too.

Archived