IGNORED

Sticker for BMW Emblem

stlkski

I've got a '96 R1200R that has the gas tank emblem sticker falling off. It's actually a sticker on top of an aluminum piece. Do I have to rip off the entire aluminum piece, or can I just get a new sticker? Seems the sticker route would be way easier. Does anybody know where these stickers can be bought? Thanks!

Afternoon stlkski

AFAIK the badge & graphic come as an assembly P/N- 46637686746 BADGE__ D=70MM__ $16.74 ea.

You might be able to poke around on E-Bay & find a transfer sticker that will fit you existing badge.

Or sometimes BMW dealers will have some miscellaneous BMW stickers for sale at their front counter.

szurszewski

Your profile doesn't say where you are (you should fill that out - helps folks here help you) but if there is a dealer nearby I'd think this a good excuse to ride over. My local dealers have always had a few different kinds in stock as DR said.

I would prefer a sticker, but if I have to get the whole badge, including aluminum, I will. I read somewhere that the trick for removal of the aluminum plate is to use dental floss, and start working around it. I guess you tuck the floss under an edge and start pulling it underneath the plate? I'm in Wisconsin, and the closest dealer is in Beaver Dam. I've never had to go there; the bike has been too reliable :grin:

szurszewski

Well, I'm certain that if you measure the diameter of your roundel, you can find any number of versions of stickers for it on ebay - though you might go crazy trying to decide which one.

Regarding the dental floss, once you get it under an edge, you can work it back and forth (think classic two man lumberjack type saw), or if you can get it under the edge all the way around, you can loop it back on itself - sort of like a noose I suppose, and pull the ends apart until it goes through all the adhesive.

I would prefer a sticker, but if I have to get the whole badge, including aluminum, I will. I read somewhere that the trick for removal of the aluminum plate is to use dental floss, and start working around it. I guess you tuck the floss under an edge and start pulling it underneath the plate? I'm in Wisconsin, and the closest dealer is in Beaver Dam. I've never had to go there; the bike has been too reliable :grin:

Morning stlkski

Dental floss works good as well as heavy duty sewing thread. They BOTH work MUCH better if you also use WD-40 as a cutting thread lubricant. Keep the squirting WD-40 into the cut as you go & it should come right off.

OK, I've got my emblem replaced. Dental floss broke, so I used 80lb test superbraid fishing line. Works great!! If you use this trick, wear gloves, cause you can cut yourself with superbraid. After I got the old emblem popped off, there was a ring of adhesive left around the very outside edge. I cleaned this off with a clean paper towel backed up with my thumb. No solvents required.

BTW, I think the reason the sticker came off is because I spilled gas on the tank pretty good a month or 2 ago. Watch out.

Archived