IGNORED

Running Lights??????

TexasMule

About the only thing I miss from my 2004 RT is the ability to run the turn signals as "running lights" via the Kisan Signal Minder.

I understand that my 2008 RT is CanBus and Kisan hasn't quite cracked the code on how to allow my turn signals to run as running lights so I thought I might rig something up myself.

I could run four wires to each of the TS lights and power them off my Centech fuse block, but then they would run continuously, even in broad daylight. I really liked the ability to either turn them off, or to dim them at will with the Kisan.

I can live without dimming them, but I really don't want to run them like the headlights. One, their visibility in direct sunlight is negligible, and two, it would shorten the bulb life significantly.

I'm thinking about trying to hook the power up vis-a-vis the photo sensitive eye for the dash lights. This would mean that the running lights would only activate in situations when the dash lights are on, e.g. in darkness.

I'm not sure if the photosensitive eye has enough power to trip a relay, but if it does, then I think it may work. Also, I'm not sure if the turn signals would work if they were on constantly for the running lights.

Has anyone tried to do this? I know there are aftermarket lighting experts i.e. Skene design etc. but I'm not a huge fan of most of their products.

Just ruminating while the outside temps approach 107F this weekend.

I can live without dimming them, but I really don't want to run them like the headlights. One, their visibility in direct sunlight is negligible, and two, it would shorten the bulb life significantly.

I'd like to suggest you are overthinking this. Most bulbs fail at the moment they are turned on, when the thermal shock of the in-rush of current "whacks" the filament, not from steady-state "burning" of the bulb. In other words, while the filament might in theory throw off enough atoms to eventually break if the bulb was turned on and never turned off, cycling the bulb on will kill it long before it can "burn out."

I've been running turn signals as running lights for a few decades now, with no bulb-life-shortening noted. My suggestion is to simplify your life and just run always-on running lights.

Morning TexasMule

The easy way to have running lights is to just install dual filament front light sockets & use 1157 twin filament bulbs, then wire the 2nd bulb filament (lower output) to 12v power-- either using the power socket power, or use a relay & key-on power.

Just keep in mind that in most states you can't have ANYTHING other than red for rear running lights so you will either need to use red rear bulbs or ONLY make the front turn signal lights into running lights.

A few in my riding group have installed dual filament front sockets & twin filament front bulbs on their 1200RT's. (seems to work good & still allow a defined turn signal flash to be seen)

If you want to stay with single filament (stock) front bulbs then the bulbs will probably have to illuminate ALL the time then use a small relay+resister at each bulb 12v power input to turn the full-time-on bulb off&on so that it will show a flash for turn signal usage.

My personal take is I don't like front turn signal running lights on motorcycles as they look way too much like distant car headlights that are farther away to hurried drivers looking to pull out into traffic with only half a glance.

Archived