IGNORED

Multistrada Owner Requests Help

duegatti

Hello; first post; name is Joe.

I've had a 2013 Multi since new; third Ducati; second Multistrada. The current bike is destroying me with quality issues. It's horrible. It has already logged 11 weeks at the dealer in 2015. I just spent $153 on an aftermarket clutch slave to replace the second OEM that failed - it lasted less than 1500 miles.

I'd like to get a notion as to what life with a current generation RT would be like.

1) Are the mirrors made of plastic, and impossible to clean without scratching?

2) Is the dash screen made of liquid plastic which can't be touched at all without scratching?

3) Does the clutch leak fluid and require bleeding every 1000 miles, and cannot be repaired with OEM parts because the all leak?

4) Is the wiring routed so that the bike can't be turned lock to lock, and consequently the wiring breaks from routine riding?

5) Does the gas gage fail to respond to filling, and never show full, but the dealer tells you that you are filling the tank incorrectly and refuses to warranty it?

6) Do the gas tanks deform from contact with gasoline and need to be replaced every 2 or 3 years?

7) Is it impossible to re-seal the front brake fluid reservoir after removing the cap, so that it is necessary to replace the parts?

I'm away from my massive folder of service records, so I can't nearly remember everything. I'm in bad shape. The Ducati has sucked all the enjoyment of motorcycling from my heart.

I do think I would like something a little better suited to longer trips than a Multistrada, even one that worked properly. You have to take the rear mud guard off to adjust the chain - it is a PITA.

I've demoed the current generation RT 3 times, and I've enjoyed it, but the last time it did feel a bit "soft" compared to the Multi. I ended up with it in Dynamic Mode, Hard. And I haven't had the opportunity to thrash one around the kind of corners we have here. I'll also need the high seat, because I'm losing some leg room, but still able to reach the ground easily, even with the preload maxxed.

To the extent that we can be objective here - will an RT revive my love of motorcycling, or will it finish me off when I learn that I've jumped out of one frying pan into another?

Many thanks.

Hey Joe

Nothing leaves bitter taste than a bad relationship with an italian supermodel...They are pretty...

Now German vehicles (3 BMW motorcycles and several VW's BMW's and MB's running in the family) are slightly different. Italians are the masters of design, and is always form over function. So you will end up with a beautiful vehicle with some functionality issues like you described in your post.

However don't get too excited because the germans have their way to do weird things too.

The latest RT is a beautiful machine built for the long run. But is more technologically advanced than before, thus more depending on electronics and of course, dealer dependant. I own a 2009 RT (hexheads as they call them) and I really like it. In my humble opinion it has enough electronics to keep the geek on me interested and simple enough to allow mundane tasks like adjusting the valves or oil changes etc being relatively easy. A clutch job on my bike is an expensive trip, and I understand that the wet clutch bikes are easier to deal with.

I don't want to sound like a smart ass, but a couple weeks ago I visited my BMW/Ducati dealership here in Atlanta, and ALL the used Ducs had some kind of oil leak... maybe I am too deep into the BMW theme but heck, the oil was there...

Good Luck... And welcome to the Forum

Just imagine what it takes to have a Ferrari...

In short...

"will an RT revive my love of motorcycling,"= Yes.

I had an Italian Mistress also... fortunately it was an older one... 900 Super Sport. Loved it but only for a limited number of its "personality" traits... not with all the trouble and failures you had. Sorry to hear about them.

Trade it, sell it, or give it away... if you have a pal you are not all that fond of.

Get the BMW RT and enjoy riding again.

^^^ What he said. I was having issues with my last ride (more what I expected vs. what the bike could deliver than mechanical issues, but I digress) and it began to slowly erode the love I have for riding itself. Like a kid growing up in front of you, you never "see" the inches pile on until one day, that kid's a full grown adult.

Got back on an RT, and now my love for riding is back in full swing. What a wonderful feeling! I felt sad at the bath I'm taking selling my other bike, but in the end it was a learning experience. Do what Hopz said - get rid of the Ducati and get on something that will revive your love again.

-MKL

No bike is trouble free, but some are a lot better than others in this respect. BMW has a good record for reliability and long life, but even the water cooled RT (sportiest of the breed) is pretty "mature" compared to a Multi.

If you really love Italian bikes but are sick of the Ducati service nightmare look at Aprilia, they are as trouble free as a Japanese bike, but still have all the "Italian-ness" you could want.

I speak from experience as I own both.

Joe,

Let's not bash all Ducatis or Ducati dealers. Prior to buying my '14RT, my primary bike was a '07 ST3S which I purchased new. In the six years of ownership, the bike never left me stranded, the four different dealerships that worked on it over the years all did a good job, and the only leaks were shock/fork seals, all covered by the warranty. All in all, a fun bike that served me well.

However, my '14 R1200RT is without out a doubt, the best bike I have ever owned. Period. (although I still miss my '01 ZRX1200R….)

szurszewski
Joe,

Let's not bash all Ducatis or Ducati dealers. Prior to buying my '14RT, my primary bike was a '07 ST3S which I purchased new. In the six years of ownership, the bike never left me stranded, the four different dealerships that worked on it over the years all did a good job, and the only leaks were shock/fork seals, all covered by the warranty. All in all, a fun bike that served me well.

However, my '14 R1200RT is without out a doubt, the best bike I have ever owned. Period. (although I still miss my '01 ZRX1200R….)

Who was bashing? I see a couple of personal anecdotes up there, but the closest thing to bashing was the comment that a small sample of the bikes all had leaks...and if that's what he saw, well...

I think, for a BMW oriented forum, the above is all pretty nice (which is the nature of this forum); many other forums are so rabid that any post about another brand will result in instant flames.

josh

PS - glad to hear another positive about the STS3 - been eyeing one of those or the previous model; I love my RT but hung a car on it and my very wise 6 year old said, well dad - aren't you going to have to get a reuglar bike now too?

Guest Kakugo

Sounds like my experience with Kawasaki: pretty horrible, especially the lies all local dealers told me to attempt getting out of warranty works on a four months old bike. Curiously enough, a dealer 60 miles away had no problems carrying out those warranty works... then the bike started falling to pieces, but that's another story.

Will an RT-LC revive your enjoyment? I don't know, but a better dealership of any brand will surely go a long way towards that.

Every brand can produce the occasional lemon, even Honda (i speak from direct experience): it's how problems are dealt with that makes the difference.

By the way, how do you "correctly" refill a bike? May be I've be doing it all wrong for the past 23 years.

• 3 weeks later...

i had a Multistrada (2005) for 5 years and it was a good bike, fast and lightweight and it had what i consider a normal amount of maintenance issues (i.e a few items every year). I traded for a used 2005 1200RT in 2010 and the RT is slightly faster but definitely weighs more. RT was stone-cold reliable. BMW recall was done without any fuss and other than that nothing has broken in over 20,000 miles and 5 years. Just completed 7200 mile roundtrip cross-country in 12 days. Averaged 600 miles per day and longest day was 870 miles. Burned out a headlight bulb ($17 and 5 minutes to change it), and wore out the rear tire, but nothing else. Just traded today for a 2016 R1200R. Cross-country was fun and everyone should do it, but my touring days are over :) But I believe there will always be a boxer in my garage!!

I feel your pain. I had a 2008 multistrada 1100S which I referred to as my crazy Italian girlfriend. By the time I sold her, I think maybe I put 5000 miles on her. While I didn't have as many mechanical problems as you did, I did break a mirror, notice things leak, and also noticed that all the plastic scratched. I put an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder, had to change the tops of both clutch and brake fluid reservoirs. changed both mirrors, put a battery tender on it, and put oem handlebar heaters that were either lukewarm or volcanic. It was an ok bike for commuting. It was a much better motorcycle for New York City. When I moved to San Francisco, in 2009, I thought my 40 mile commute would be great on the Ducati. I was very wrong. At the end of a round trip commute, I was beat up, tired and buzzed out. The bike sat for the next few years more than I ever had let a motorcycle sit before. Last year I wanted to really start commuting by motorcycle again so I went and looked at a 2014 R1200RT and didn't look back. The first time I commuted I noticed that I was refreshed at the end of my ride. And when I got home at the end of the day I didn't feel like I needed a hot Epsom soak and a shot of whiskey.

Don't get me wrong. I loved my Ducati. It just wasn't practical for a 90 mile round-trip commute. If you really want, buy an RT and then get a cheap canyon carver or project bike to scratch that itch.

• 7 months later...

I'm back. Thank you all. Your posts were heartening.

Oberon slave went in. I remember I had three excellent 300 mile days during a week of vacation. Just like a real motorcycle. It was wonderful. Then I told the dealer that the clutch didn't feel right; he said the slave needed to break in.

Didn't ride during the winter, basically. Took it out a couple of weeks ago, and all the symptoms were there: engagement zone much closer to the grip; difficulty shifting between first and second; great difficulty putting it in neutral while it was running. No signs of leaks; bled the clutch. There was air everywhere. Clutch was perfect after. 2400 miles since the slave went in.

While this is still difficult for me - let's look at it this way. If I don't want to quit motorcycling, and I don't want another year with the Ducati - what, if anything, is currently better than the r1200rt for an upright, comfortable sport tourer? Weight; power. What about the handling?

Surely there are guys on RT's that would blow by me at the Gap. Probably with a passenger. I ride solo, don't hang off, but use all of my tires. I live in East Tennessee; there are no straight roads around here. At least give me a sanity check that the RT is my best alternative.

Many thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe. You might want to look at the new R1200GS for sport touring. Lighter weight and less of a hand full in the twisties. I made the switch from an RT and haven't looked back.

John Bentall

what, if anything, is currently better than the r1200rt for an upright, comfortable sport tourer? Weight; power. What about the handling?

Joe

According to the 1000-point score evaluation in the German magazine, Motorrad, there are only two machines in the touring/sport touring category that you can buy new today that are better than the R1200RT (746 points) and those are the R1200RS (755 points - and not upright) and the K1600GT (769 points).

Tourers that run the RT very close are the Triumph Trophy (736 points) and FJR1300AS 5-speed (715 points)and Honda ST1300 (704 points).

The top scoring Adventure bike is the BMW GS Adventure (744 points). The top scoring cruiser is the Guzzi Audace (572 points)

By the way, to make any sense of these totally objective results, you have to test ride the machines for yourself !!

I have demo'd the K bike - it is too big for me. I'll wager that the Triumph, FJR, and Honda are heavier than the RT. And I guess I better come out and admit that I'm something of a European motorcycle snob.

RT vs. GS . . . let's forgive the GS if it reminds me of a Multistrada. Chris - what year was your RT? I'm under the impression that the wethead RT's handle significantly better than the previous generation, and thus narrow the gap to the GS.

That's the trade off, isn't it? Lightness of the GS vs the accoutrements of the RT. I do some dirt and some gravel, but very limited; I suck at it. I either do it as a favor to a riding partner, or to get to more pavement. I do dream of multi-week trips that will require highway and rain.

One consideration is the wind protection on the RT vs. the GS. You definitely notice a difference with the fairing on the RT...if you're planning a lot of highway miles, the extra protection on the RT significantly reduces the wind buffeting.

The OP might consider a GS Adventure. It has somewhat better win management than a GS, I like to say that the larger tank is basically a gas-filled fairing, so I get more range too. It feels much like my RTW so any arguments about being top-heavy etc. are meaningless as far as I'm concerned. I put 32,000 miles on my RTW with no problems, and I've got 9K on the GSAW that replaced it, also no problems other than a switch that occasionally hangs up and won't return like it's supposed to.

I had a 2011 Multi S Touring that I had to Lemon because of 9 separate warranty issues (several of them recurring) in the first 14 months of ownership. It was a nightmare, and in comparison, moving to a 2013 RT has been a dream come true. It was a bit of a transition coming off the sickness of the Multi (on the rare occasions when it wasn't in the shop, it was a mighty fierce ride, for sure), but at least I don't know all my mechanics' kids names, birthdays, ages, and shoe sizes. In other words, it was an adjustment I'm very glad to have made, and you can certainly learn to tear it up pretty good in the twisties on an RT; it's just a different flavor. I say go for it.

Joe, First the R1200RT is an awesome bike, there is another in the BMW line that you shouldn't ignore. That would be a R1200R that the same luggage can be installed on if the new ones are like the previous hex heads. The reason I'm bringing this up is I prefer lighter weight and you coming from a Ducati I'd suspect you might have similar preferences. The R model can be equipped for almost any duty with yes with less wind protection. But it is significantly less top heavy vs. an RT. My advise is to check one out and see all the current options available. My R1200ST occupies the middle ground of being lighter than a RT and a bit heavier than a R. If anything happens to my ST the R model would be my probable replacement. :wave:

I have a R1200R with the Parabellum fairing and I love it. The fairing gives me enough wind protection to ride all day without getting tired but the bike does not have all of the extra plastic that the RT has.

My 2 cents

Roger L

I rode the R1200RS-LC and it would be my top pick if you want to go lighter. That's coming from a R1200RT-LC owner.

I had the RS for a loaner while mine was being serviced and it's far lighter and has even more power (I assume due to the lighter weight) then the RT and the GS (Rode the GS-LC as well).

I test rode an RS after I had purchased my 2015 RT and found that I was happy I had purchased the RT. The difference in riding position was notable with more weight on my hands/wrists, which is a non-starter for me. It is a great bike, and I enjoyed it immensely, but I can't see doin big miles on it.

It would be a great third bike, but would not replace my RT.

John

I'm kind of surprised you haven't considered the S1000XR. It's upright, light, incredibly fast and is likely to be touring friendly with the occasional fire road thrown in for good measure. Germany's answer to the Multistrada, if you will.

I'm kind of surprised you haven't considered the S1000XR. It's upright, light, incredibly fast and is likely to be touring friendly with the occasional fire road thrown in for good measure. Germany's answer to the Multistrada, if you will.

It's also rather notorious for a bad buzz in the bars at just the wrong rpm for steady cruising. Have not ridden one, but this criticism has appeared in every review I've read.

I have ridden one and that so called BUZZ in the handle bars is not nearly as bad as some say. With bar end weights added it is gone.

GT

Honestly, I will really enjoy getting rid of chain maintenance (I do it by the book; my Multi requires adjustments 50% of the time, and you have to take the rear mud guard off; it's a pain in the ass). And I like the "extra plastic". I like the features. Want to get nicely integrated navigation, etc.

Just re-read the Sport Rider review of the RT. They didn't say a word about handling limitations - you'd think they would make the point in a constructive way if they noticed it was soft. I mean I understand that it is not a front line sport bike. And people seem to be coming to the opinion that the Multi is firm to a fault, all the time.

To some extent, I'm just overcoming my own prejudices. I always think of the RT as wide, cramped, with less legroom. Every time I sit on it or ride it, I say "this is nice". I just need to cough up this hairball that I've got over how much money it's going to take.

It looks like dealers try to create the impression that of course we pay MSRP for these things. While I don't believe that, I think they have succeeded in lowering my expectations. Do people typically strike some modest deals on their purchase?

John Bentall

If you were a small BMW dealer selling 100 bikes a year and getting a 5% rebate on your sales from BMW and there was another dealer in the next state selling 300 bikes and 2000 automobiles a year and getting a 15% rebate on sales and he was undercutting you on price, how would you feel?

You would feel like complaining, would you not?- or you could shut up shop I suppose and blame it on a democratic society.

Here in the UK bike discounting is heavily discouraged by BMW so that all dealers can invest in the product , staff training and workshops and still make a living.

I suspect that you could ask for a discount on servicing or accessories.

In the event, I think it was pretty tame and civilized, if rife with confusion and chaos. The $1000 promotion was going to exist as some combination of 1) over, 2) extended through April 20, 3) extended until the next promotions were announced, 4) honored by the dealer anyway. A discount that had been offered on a less-optioned bike was withdrawn for the current one, then largely re-instated when I pointed out a nearby bike advertised at discount. And I parried what seemed like an attempt to apply a second destination charge.

So I never really asked for anything, and I accepted that offer from the dealer, and I'm happy. The dealer said he was happy, which makes me even happier. Picking it up on Saturday, and I'll have an opportunity to see how comfortable it can make me with a high of 49 degrees.

• 1 month later...

Got it on 4/9; am just shy of 2000 miles now. I am very pleased. It is very different, and I try to be cautious with new motorcycles in general, and with very different one's in particular. But I'm very happy with the handling. Really, the biggest difference from the Multi seems to be straight line acceleration, and that's at the very bottom of my list. We're doing well in corners as I learn the bike. While much more compliant than the Multi, it is not feeling less controlled, and depending on the surface, that compliance is a big benefit.

I got the high seat, and I benefit from it. I'd say it is about as comfortable as the Multi was with a Sargent. It's good for a 300 mile day ride, but I'd want something better for extended travel. Leg room is good (6'2"; 32" inseam).

I've been demo-ing BMW's for 15 years, and I've had some great Telelever experiences. I'm enjoying that aspect, the unique feel, on the new bike. The Multi was very planted in the back; very lively in the front. The RT is the opposite. I've come to love the Telelever stability (actually proved something that I suggested 10 years ago and used cruise control to take my hands off the bars in a turn), and have gotten used to the chatter out of the back end.

Then there's the glass mirrors, the fuel gage that shows full when the tank is full, etc., etc. Nothing's broken on the RT yet; at 2000 miles, I needed to bleed the Multi clutch. The increased cruising range is mind boggling. I even think I'm going to get decent tire life - so the critical factor there is not overall weight, after all. The windscreen. The weather protection. As at least one person on the web offered, I can see that it might be too much protection when very hot. It was raining like hell for my first service, but as a BMW rider I knew I couldn't re-schedule it. Only got water in through my fly, and am confident that with a rain suit it would be perfect for extended travel. Awesome.

The luggage is so, so much bigger and better and easier to use than the Multi's. I love the keyless locking. And - I even used the radio once, and kind of got into it, to create a mellow experience. Couldn't believe it.

Anyway. That was a lot of rambling. Am off to an excellent start. Many thanks.

Dave_in_TX
I rode the R1200RS-LC and it would be my top pick if you want to go lighter. That's coming from a R1200RT-LC owner.

I had the RS for a loaner while mine was being serviced and it's far lighter and has even more power (I assume due to the lighter weight) then the RT and the GS (Rode the GS-LC as well).

According to BMW's specs, the liquid cooled RS and GS are within 5 pounds weight difference.

• 2 weeks later...
I have demo'd the K bike - it is too big for me. I'll wager that the Triumph, FJR, and Honda are heavier than the RT. And I guess I better come out and admit that I'm something of a European motorcycle snob.

RT vs. GS . . . let's forgive the GS if it reminds me of a Multistrada. Chris - what year was your RT? I'm under the impression that the wethead RT's handle significantly better than the previous generation, and thus narrow the gap to the GS.

That's the trade off, isn't it? Lightness of the GS vs the accoutrements of the RT. I do some dirt and some gravel, but very limited; I suck at it. I either do it as a favor to a riding partner, or to get to more pavement. I do dream of multi-week trips that will require highway and rain.

I've owned all three versions of the Multistrada and had very good luck with all three. Sorry your experience was not as good. The RT is an extremely well put together bike and the current version is lighter and more powerful than others and even has a bit of a lively tone to the exhaust. That being said, it will not match the soul of the Ducati.

I've had a the wethead GS and the 19" wheel handled well on the street but nowhere near as well as the Multi or the RT. The GS handles well but the 19" wheel is a compromise for on and off road. You see other opinions here but that is mine.

The K bikes equal the thrill of a Ducati motor for me and the K1600 is probably my favorite bike of all time. As you've seen, it is heavier too but that weight works for you when touring. Commuting makes the RT more appealing but the K1600 is not hard for me to live with at all.

Regardless of brand, the dealer you choose can make a big difference. I walked away from Ducati because dealer support was poor for basic needs. My BMW dealer is fantastic. They are human and a small business but are very good to deal with and that is why I am currently with BMW and not Ducati. The RT is not as thrilling to ride as my latest 2015 Multistrada was but it is more competent, comfortable and for 80% of my riding I don't miss the Multi. The K1600 erases any wish for the Multistrada. It just has an amazing motor.

Good luck in your search. Many good choices out there.

Archived