IGNORED

Battery Toast?

CharlieC

My K75S doesn't get much ride since the RT arrived. It sits outside under a cover, w/o a tender. Today I tried to start and, of course, nothing. The [bMW] battery is only 7 months old, so I figured it just needed some TLC. When I connected the BMW tender, it just flashed red, indicating it was unable to charge. I then hooked another car battery charger (set to 2 volts) and it read full charge, but the needle swung wildly back and forth. The volt/ohmmeter read a solid 12 V but I don't have a way to put a load on it and check. Is the battery toast? Any other way to check before I cart it off to the battery-hospital (aka dealer)?

Thanks

Its a long shot, but I have gotten a battery to take a charge by putting it in series with another good battery for a short while, then removing the good battery and charging as normal. Worth a try, but the capacity of the battery will never be the same. Our batterys are designed to discharge 10% for short periods and be immediately recharged (by the running motor/alternator). Any time below 90% charge is bad and a couple of months at zero is often fatal. John S Boise

Great replies; thanks. I reinstalled the "toasted" battery and it fired up the little K just fine!? Maybe I had connection problems or just operator-error. Again, thanks for the help. This Board rocks!

Charlie

Archived