IGNORED

cancelled bike tour

Missouri Bob

Missouri Bob

I subscribe to Motorcycle Classics magazine, and several months ago read their description of a tour offered by Moto Touring (http://www.mototouring.com). I booked a tour of the Isle of Man. A few days ago, one month before departure, Moto Touring cancelled the tour. Because I do not live in the U.K., I bought airline tickets. They are not refundable. Although the tour cancellation was entirely Moto Touring’s choice, they have washed their hands of any financial responsibility for my loss.

You might be thinking that I should have bought trip insurance. I did buy it. However, Travel Guard will not cover this.

I am posting this because everyone should be aware of the risk in doing business with Moto Touring. Frankly, Travel Guard has also lost me as a customer.

Bob

Is there an equivalent of BBB over there?

Seems worth the effort if there wasn't a disclaimer upfront.

This sux, but perhaps the advice to go anyway is excellent.

W/or w/out a bike should be great and they do rent across the pond.

Best wishes.

TripleThreat

You should post this up over on ADVRider... Perhaps someone who lives over there would see it and offer to provide you a tour... Or, you could see if the airline will allow you to change your dates and then go over next year to watch the TT...

Sucks for sure!

Missouri Bob

The plan (as of this morning) is for Claudia and me to go to England. We'll rent a car and do a road trip, possibly getting to Wales and Scotland.

Any suggestions for worthwhile destinations? Any places to avoid at all costs? Help me out here and tell me about your best experiences in the U.K.

Thanks.

Bob

My wife and I went five years ago to parts of Scotland, Wales and England. Scotland: Edinburgh, Glasgow and the Isle of Skye. England was brief, but we really enjoyed the medieval city of York, and we also took a short (several hours) detour to Liverpool (grew up with The Beatles). In Wales we spent several days in and around Llandudno. We enjoyed them all very much (we had a rental car). We had both been to London before, so we did not spend any time there. Our primary destination was Scotland.

What is really reprehensible is that they are showing on their website that they are still booking the tour you were to take. Is it possible that they didn't cancel the tour, but overbooked, and used you as a patsy?

If I were you, I would do all I could to leave feedback everywhere and anywhere.

Bob, as you may know, Suz and I have good friends in Scotland. I think you might like Aberdeen and then more to the Northern coast are interesting smaller towns.

Our people are in Lossiemouth...

I do not recall if you were a Scotch whiskey drinker but there are several Scotch tours or you can go independently to the distilleries.

Also look up the town of Ullapool. Cool little town but it has some interesting inns and bars.

Archived