IGNORED

Loud noise on start up

PAS

Bike is an 03 R1150RT. The updated chain tensioner was installed about 3 years ago and on occasion I get a loud cracking noise on start up. Only on the left side.

It happened today after the bike sat for 20 minutes after riding then restarting it.

There are no other noise's when its running. Sounds horrible like a piston blowing thru the cylinder.

Could this be a timing issue? Bike timing has never been checked since I owned it.

Afternoon PAS

Difficult to tell much about a noise over the internet but at first reading it really doesn't sound like a timing issue.

If it runs quiet & the noise only appears on L/H side & only at start-up then it sounds like the L/H tensioner is not doing it's job (again) or you have something going on with the chain guides.

Unless you can pin it down to a specific area or thing then (personally) I would be inclined to install another L/H chain tensioner just to eliminate that as the issue.

Bike is an 03 R1150RT. The updated chain tensioner was installed about 3 years ago and on occasion I get a loud cracking noise on start up. Only on the left side.

It happened today after the bike sat for 20 minutes after riding then restarting it.

There are no other noise's when its running. Sounds horrible like a piston blowing thru the cylinder.

Could this be a timing issue? Bike timing has never been checked since I owned it.

On my 1150 I would occasionally get a loud "CRACK" on a hot start. It never caused any problems that I know of.

Mine too. Although I would describe mine as a secondary noise during the starting process. Not really a loud crack or pop, but sometimes there's some additional noise.

The bike has 75k and its done this occasionally since I bought new, so totally ignore it.

RPG

I have found this to be some what of a common issue due to detonation during a hot start. It was suggested I use some Techron to de-carbonize the heads.

Thanks to all that replied and to Ted Porter at The Beemer Shop!

I have to admit I dont always run the premium gas so this may well be the problem with excessive carbon build up.

Archived