IGNORED

Rear wheel speed sensor

Illini

Cruising down the superslab on my 06 RT when I noticed my speedo started flipping out (going from 0-to max 2 or 3 times) then stays at zero. Brake failure light starts flashing and red triangle lights up. I never touched the brakes when this occurred. I had a yellow triangle because I was low on fuel. Checked both front and rear sensors to make sure neither was rubbing on disk and they are both clipped tightly away from the disks with no rubs or breaks in the wiring.

I plan to pull the rear sensor and wipe away any metal filings attached to the sensor. If that doesn't cure it then will replace the rear sensor. I shut bike off and turned key back on and waited to see if the code would clear up on start up but it did not. Has anyone had these symptoms and fixed it with a cleaning/replacement of speed sensor? Hoping it's not my ABS module gone bad $$$$$$.

Morning Illini

Make sure your rear crown bearing doesn't have a LOT of excess play in it.

Then look CLOSELY at your front wheel ABS tone ring for signs of damage (especially if you have removed the front wheel lately)

If you feel like being aggressive you can measure the resistance of the front wheel speed sensor & rear speed sensor then compare the readings.

Otherwise you can try to get a GS-911 on that bike & find the failure code or codes.

I'm having a similar issue with my 2010 R1200RT. I was on my way to the MOA National Rally last week when my brake warning light came on and I lost my cruise control (it's controlled by the rear sensor as well). GS911 said "Rear Wheel Speed Sensor - Signal Implausible.

I removed the sensor, checked the wire for damage and found none. The sensor was clean with no obvious damage. Wheel bearing felt fine. I've ordered a new sensor and will report back when installed.

I just ordered a rear wheel speed sensor without a GS911 reading. Since we are next door to each other the race is on for who gets the part and gets it installed first. What are my chances of the code clearing itself with a new speed sensor if that is my problem?

Evening Illini

(IF) the new sensor eliminates the problem then the current active failure code will go way but the history failure code will remain for a while yet. (doesn't hurt anything)

Still waiting on my part. Dealer called Saturday and it was in, they were to ship yesterday. May have it today or tomorrow. I'll update the thread when I get it installed.

The wheel speed on your RT is referenced from the front wheel speed sensor, so replacing the rear sensor will only lighten your wallet.

You might have two issues going on coincidently. ABS pump failure & front wheel speed sensor failure. On an '06, it's not entirely out of the question. I wish I had better news.

Good luck.

The wheel speed on your RT is referenced from the front wheel speed sensor, so replacing the rear sensor will only lighten your wallet.

You might have two issues going on coincidently. ABS pump failure & front wheel speed sensor failure. On an '06, it's not entirely out of the question. I wish I had better news.

Good luck.

On my '06 RT, the speedometer is controlled by the rear wheel sensor - verified by putting in gear on the center stand and observing the indicated speed.

Interesting. The speed on my '07 GSA is read by the front speed sensor. Sorry for misleading you.

This is all so confusing. :dopeslap:

I'm having a similar issue with my 2010 R1200RT. I was on my way to the MOA National Rally last week when my brake warning light came on and I lost my cruise control (it's controlled by the rear sensor as well). GS911 said "Rear Wheel Speed Sensor - Signal Implausible.

I removed the sensor, checked the wire for damage and found none. The sensor was clean with no obvious damage. Wheel bearing felt fine. I've ordered a new sensor and will report back when installed.

I had the same issues on my 011 and it was the speed sensor.

Ron

I installed the new sensor last night and only had time for about a 10 mile ride, but everything works as normal now.

I'm leaving for the Boone Rally in North Carolina in the morning, about a 1,000 mile ride. I'll declare it fixed if everything is ok when I get back Sunday.

Symptoms seem a lot like what I had. 2008 Rt going down the road at 70 mph...speedometer starts going from 70 to 0 to 70....ABS lights start flashing....all items on my relay fuze block start going on and off (intercom, GPS, etc) When I stopped, I had nothing when hitting the start button,

Loose battery terminals was the problem. I had put the new battery in about 6 months prior and knew that it was tight then but they can and do loosen up.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new sensor installed and clipped down against the swingarm and took the bike out for a test drive. The red triangle is gone and once I started rolling the brake failure light quit flashing! The speedo is working. I'm cured!

But now I've got oil leaking out of tranny. Once back from the short test drive, I noticed a smell of oil burning on the exhaust and my rear rim has oil blowing on it from the leak. I thought it might be coming from the final drive but it's not red and does not stink like the final drive oil. Looked under the bike and I see the drip from the tranny housing. It appears to be coming from the rear cover of the tranny (gasket? seal?) Will be tearing into it soon. Good thing I have a bike lift. The swingarm will need to come off to get to it. Anyone done any tranny seal replacements with 8X10 color glossies?

Morning Illini

Did you do any other services before/after your trip?

If a trans service then maybe an overfilled trans so now oil blowing out the trans top vent & down rear of trans.

If it doesn't smell like gear oil then maybe coming from rear of engine & air currents under bike carrying the oil to rear of trans.

You need to clean the under-bike & rear of trans then ride it and watch closely so you can determine EXACTLY where the oil is coming from.

No trans service done before replacing the speed sensor. I removed the final drive, swingarm and got down to the output seal as all indications lead me there. There was oil inside the drive shaft housing but no evidence it was coming from a failed output shaft seal. It is clean around the seal. I expected to see oil in the lip around the output shaft but found none. Since the drive shaft housing has oil in it it has to be the Output seal????

Words of wisdom from DR 4 yrs ago:

On the output shaft seal leaking-- have them verify it is ACTUALLY the trans seal leaking & not the final drive pinion seal with the oil migrating forward. The final drive seal can leak & look JUST LIKE the trans output is leaking.

Just checked the FD pinion seal and it's dry with no signs of leaks. I pulled the check plug from trans and sucked a bit of fluid out with syringe it's bright red trans oil (dealer last did trans oil change about 1 yr ago and wanted to check what he filled it with).

The oil in the drive shaft housing is golden brown and looks and smells more like motor oil. Having done several FD fills the bright red fluid turns black and smells. The rear rubber boot was tightly seated into it's grooves at the output shaft. I don't see how motor oil could blow into the drive shaft housing. I checked the sight glass for leaks and found none. No leaks from sitting only when the bike is running and moving do I see oil.

When I first noticed the leak my rear rim was splattered with the oil. I found a drop of oil hanging on the underside of the middle of trans. Upper half of trans is clean but underside was dirty with road grime and oil leak. I don't see any evidence of oil coming from trans breather. This has me baffled.

Illini -

If you clean everything and then look for a leak as DR has suggested, you might find fluorescent dye to be helpful. I haven't seen this done on a bike but it's an idea that re-occurs to me from time to time.

Archived