IGNORED

GL-4 VS GL-5

danevans

Just changed my final drive and transmission oil with Wunderlich 85-90 conventional oil. I then noticed on the bottles that it was GL-4. Since the manual says GL-5,have I poisoned my final drive and transmission?

Afternoon ks kurmudgeon

Not a big deal as far as the transmission is concerned as that doesn't see a lot of gear tooth loading.

I'm not even sure if the GL-4 will cause you final drive issues as you seldom if ever hear of gear tooth wear or failures on the 1100/1150 final drives.

Basically the biggest difference is that GL-4 usually has about half the level of sulfur/phosphorous (extreme pressure) additives as a quality GL-5 gear oil does.

GL-4's claim to fame is brass (colored metal) protection on syncros, thrust washers, & bushings in some transmission applications.

Personally if it were my bike I would probably leave the trans as is but change to a GL-5 in the final drive, BUT, I ride the dickens out of my bikes at fairly high sustained speeds so GL-5 is my friend in the final drive.

Thanks dirt rider I will just read the label closer and put the right stuff in.'spose I can reuse the crush washers?

Thanks dirt rider I will just read the label closer and put the right stuff in.'spose I can reuse the crush washers?

Morning ks curmudgeon

Crush washers crush & conform as you tighten the fastener so technically they are a one usage seal.

With the above being said-- as long the crush washer isn't TOO crushed or distorted I have re-used them without issues. But you do chance a seep re-using crush washers, so be careful, as just tightening the plug more can lead to stripped threads.

If/when re-using crush washers use good common sense & IF any doubt about sealing integrity replace the darn things.

Archived