IGNORED

ZTechnik VStream Windshield Question

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

I just got a great deal on Fleabay for this ZTechnik VStream Windshield:

1_zpstdyi7ckb.jpg

But I saw another one sell a short time ago that looks like this:

2_zpsun64kkd8.jpg

They both were advertised as VStreams, they both have the VStream sticker, but the one I bought has an "M" shape cut out at the bottom, and the other one comes to a point like the stock screen. I've seen photos of both on the web.

Anyone know what the difference is and why the same shields have different bottom contours, and what I may have just bought?

Thanks.

Believe you've got the taller version of the same shield and the cut out is to relieve back pressure on your helmet when you have it in the up position.

Pat

The Rocketman

ZTechnik makes 2 sizes for the shield:

Z2402 26" high; 24.75" wide

Z2403 28" high; 26" wide.

The seller said he measured his at 27" and thought it was the Z2402 model.

Seller said he's 5'11" and "for what it's worth, I never need to raise it over 1/2 way up."

I'm 6'2" and thought the lower shield would be more than adequate. I guess time will tell.

For $64.00 I think its worth a try.

:)

I was trying to buy that shield last night too. I was pretty bummed when you outbid me by a dollar with 5 seconds to go, but I didn't want the tall one anyways, so congrats to you.

The Rocketman

I really didn't want the tall one either. I'll see how it looks and works soon, and then decide if I want to keep it or not. I've also heard the larger the shield, the more chance of snapping the OEM windshield lift arms. And I'm not ready to replace those just yet.

I really didn't want the tall one either. I'll see how it looks and works soon, and then decide if I want to keep it or not. I've also heard the larger the shield, the more chance of snapping the OEM windshield lift arms. And I'm not ready to replace those just yet.

If you install any shield larger than the OEM one, you should upgrade the support arms with stainless steel ones.

I sold many of the Z Stream shields over the years. I have on my self on my 1100 RT.

On the many sold to 1200RT owners, I never had one come back that caused the arms to break due to wind resistance .

If the bike tips over it can happen due to side impact and there is at least one screen maker that makes these huge barn doors that suggest the screen not be used all the way up at high speed.

Why would anyone buy a screen that warns of that ?

The Rocketman

As usual, you guys are on the money!

Here's what I just received from National Cycle:

Hello Larry,

The Taller VStream Z2403 has the notch to allow more air to come up between the shield and dash to help break up back pressure. Originally, the taller shield was blocking so much air that it created negative pressure between the shield and rider. By adding the notch it broke that pocket up.

The official sizes of the shields are:

Z2402 26" high, 24.75" wide

Z2403 28" high, 26" wide

Scott Durham

Customer Service/Tech Support

National Cycle

2200 Maywood Dr

Maywood, IL 60153

Phone:(877) 972-7336 x153

Direct Line:(708) 273-6553

Fax:(708) 343-0625

The Rocketman

I just received in the mail my new-to-me Z2403 windshield, and installed it. Man, this thing is GINORMOUS!. Who would have thought that 3.5" taller than stock, and a bit wider would look this large? This is gonna take some getting used to for sure. At 6'2" I easily see over it when the shield is down. With it fully raised (which I can't imagine I'd ever need to do) I think I could fit my whole family behind it, with room to spare.

The Rocketman

OK, this kind of sucks. MY GS auxiliary mirrors on my '09RT can't go lock to lock with the ZTech VStream screen except with the screen in the full up position without hitting into the sides. Anyone got any ideas? I tried loosening and rotating the mirror shaft but there's not enough room to swing it out of the way enough to clear the shield sides.

A belt sander is your friend. Slowly trim the sides until you're clear of the stalks. Go back and make the sides equal and pleasing to your eyes.

Evening The Rocketman

You should probably call ZTech & get their opinion, most of those aftermarket windshields are coated & grinding on them can cause the coating to peel or lift.

Other options would be different mirrors or modifying your existing mirror stalks.

The Rocketman

I will call National Cycle on Monday and run it by them. I can't see sanding it down to fit. And I really like my mirrors. Think I might end up flipping the shield, and trying to find someone with the Z2402 model to try a dry fit of the smaller sized one, then maybe keep an eye open for another deal. No big disaster, and I'm sure I'm not the first, nor will I be the last.

The Rocketman

OK, so now I know the Z2403 won't work with GS mirrors.

Would really like to know if anyone here has either of the following combinations, with no interference:

(1) Z2402 (smaller/narrower shield) with GS mirrors; or

(2) Z2402 or Z2403 with K1200RS mirrors.

I have the smaller Ztechnik on my 2011 RT and still get some interference with GS mirrors at full lock. Not enough to damage the windshield, but there is some interference.

The Rocketman

Thanks Ken. I appreciate it. With the Z2403 I get maybe 40-50% mobility with the shield fully down. Only get 100% full lock with the screen fully raised. Guess I need to find a set of K1200RS mirrors to try with either VStream shield, or find another shield.

Doug_Baliko

I use the large VStream with the GS mirrors and handlebar risers, and while the mirrors do touch at full lock , they don't damage the windshield. And because the windshield is thin it flexes so you can get to lock to lock. This isn't ever an issue while riding since you NEVER get anywhere near lock to lock while riding.

Doug

Archived