IGNORED

Hi I'm new around here

Mike Sawatske

Mike Sawatske

Been lurking for awhile getting heaps of opinions and info re. Beemers. I have purchased a 2004 R1150RT ex-police model that has been 'civilianised' and looks normal. It's only under the skin one can tell and for some reason here in Oz it hasn't been marked as RT-P on the Vin plate?

Oilhead? Several riding friends have Oilheads of various vintages and always survive long rides with less fatigue than me on a VFR800, so before I run out of time I thought it was worth a try. I'm 70 and although the body likes the lightness of the Viffer, the suspension gives my back hell (I am still rather partial to it however, read 'In Love').

So at this stage the Beemer is an experiment and an adventure - already had to have the rear shock rebuilt due to leaking. I believe the bike has much more than the 46kkm on the odo!

Some of the tales here could frighten one off the marque but that is part of the experiment. I've only ever owned Japanese bikes of various descriptions over many years and always done my own fettling and the exploration whilst getting the shock out and back in has given me an intro to my bike. I can see why they are porky, very well constructed. Here's hoping I will avoid the common pitfalls of the oilheads!

Cheers

Mike

PS I'll get around to some pics soon.

Welcome, Mike. A used BMW of police heritage can be hot or cold. If used by someone who respects what the taxpayers have provided him as a work tool, you could end up with a beauty. If abused because the rider "has no skin in the game" i.e. it's not HIS money, then it might eventually develop a problem or two. But you seem pretty clear as to what you've gotten into.

The Viffer is a good bike for long days and twisty roads, more the latter. It's a sport tourer (if bagged), but it's not a sporty tourer. The BMW better fills that description. Loooong days are its forte. And if faced with a spaghetti road, it can acquit itself very, very well in its weight class. Perhaps the best of them all. But it won't be the same as your Honda. You'll love it on the highways and on roads with sweeping curves. It's also good on the tighter stuff, but that's where you'll probably miss your VFR. You've got two great bikes now. Pick the one that will please you the most given the ride you're going to take that day, and go for it. I'm a few years behind you, and I understand the lighter bike's pluses much more than when I was younger and stronger. But I still do love the way my RT just eats miles and leaves me able to walk a half a mile to dinner.

Keep us informed on how the relationship is going. And welcome to the family.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome, Mike. Yes, among friends around here, we feel free to carp about the nuisances of our bikes, but you'll find most of us keep them for many years or many miles, or both. It's all relative.

Archived