IGNORED

Camera for my bike 1200 RT 2008

Gerard

OK, I am sure this might have been discussed before but I could not find it so sorry if this was. I am finally planning to be "cool" and share my rides with my family and am looking for a camera (helmet or bike mount) on my 1200 RT 2008. I have no experience and not a great budget $300 max and I need advice on what works best for you guys (helmet or bike mount). All recommendations are very very welcome... Thanks

Gerard (tbirdmine)

I have no personal experience, but I'd only say that, if I were in the market (and I may be before too long), I'd check out two SENA products. One is the Prism camera, which can be controlled with your SENA Bluetooth intercom, if you have one. The other is the just-reeased SANA 10C. It's an all-in-one Bluetooth intercom and camera.

The Prism comes with a wide range of mounts. The 10C obviously mounts on the left side of the helmet. In the reviews I've seen of both, the preferred mounting for the Prism seems to be the helmet.

I have just bought a GoPro style 1080P HD on eBay UK (131429530165) for $56 delivered! It works very well, has an LCD screen and WiFi connection to it's app

I'm not very interested in video but it takes wide angle (170degrees) .jpg shots and comes with all the required cases and connectors for bike and helmet

Having seen a YouTube vid of a GoPro mounted to the chin of a full face helmet I have mounted mine to the chinstrap of a Schuberth J1 as this negates the need for the waterproof housing

If any one would like pic I'm happy to send via email

I have no personal experience, but I'd only say that, if I were in the market (and I may be before too long), I'd check out two SENA products. One is the Prism camera, which can be controlled with your SENA Bluetooth intercom, if you have one. The other is the just-reeased SANA 10C. It's an all-in-one Bluetooth intercom and camera.

The Prism comes with a wide range of mounts. The 10C obviously mounts on the left side of the helmet. In the reviews I've seen of both, the preferred mounting for the Prism seems to be the helmet.

I will second that, even if it's over the $300 budget! The Prism, with the big bag full of mounts costs $399 (list), and you can find it for a few dollars less at, say, RevZilla.

I have been using the GoPro Hero3 Black for a couple of years now, and without going into great details, decided that I want a camera that I would mount on my helmet for my riding trip to Scotland this past June. I had always mounted my GoPro on the bike, and will never put it on my helmet for a couple of reasons. First is that because I will never put the strong adhesive mount on my helmet! That's the only reasonably compact solution for the GoPro. Second, because of the GoPro's physical shape, I think that mounting it on the helmet looks kinda dorky! Just my opinion!

The Prism has the neatest helmet mount that I have ever seen or read about. It clips onto your helmet in the same way that their bluetooth headset is mounted to your helmet. The Prism will pair with any bluetooth headset, as an intercom, and allows you to use the buttons on your headset to control the camera. I use SENA SMH10 headset, and once the Prism is paired to it, I can turn the camera on/off or take a still picture (even while the camera is recording video) with the headset's phone button. The intercom rotating dial is used to select recording modes (video, still, burst) and pushed to start/stop recording. Very handy.

Video quality is excellent, at 1080p/30 for both the GoPro and the Prism. The GoPro have the definite edge if you want very high level of definitions, up to professional levels, but quite frankly for us amateur, there are no needs to go above 1080p!

This is a link to a video compilation that I had put up on YouTube. The video were taken with the Prism:

If you really want to go low budget with minimal features, I use a Vivitar something or other action cam. I think they run $40 or so (mine was a gift). I mounted it just behind the windshield on my RT. The video is pretty good quality for the price. With a 32 GB microSD card it will record more than 6 hours of HD video. Downside is the battery life, less than an hour. I wired a USB plug and keep the camera plugged in full time.

If you really want to go low budget with minimal features, I use a Vivitar something or other action cam. I think they run $40 or so (mine was a gift). I mounted it just behind the windshield on my RT. The video is pretty good quality for the price. With a 32 GB microSD card it will record more than 6 hours of HD video. Downside is the battery life, less than an hour. I wired a USB plug and keep the camera plugged in full time.

Woot has a Pyle :/ for $31.99 + $5 shipping. You have to get it today, though. It'll be gone tomorrow. Not a bad gamble if you're just looking to try something out.

http://electronics.woot.com/?ref=gh_el_3

Thanks, I read a bunch of reviews as well and I agree that the SENA is best for what I am looking for. I just placed an order for the 10C on Revzilla.. Thanks for your help..

Thanks, I read a bunch of reviews as well and I agree that the SENA is best for what I am looking for. I just placed an order for the 10C on Revzilla.. Thanks for your help..

Let us know how you like it, once you've sorted it out. I'd be all over it now if it allowed me to use earbuds.

Thanks, I got the Sena 10C. Seems like a good fit for me since it also includes communicator...

Good choice. I was considering the 10c at the time as well, but it had not been released at that time. OTOH, I may have selected the Prism even if the 10c was available, because of it's flexibility regarding mounting locations.

BTW, a member of the other forum that I frequent had also gotten the 10c, and one feature that the 10c has that the Prism doesn't is that you can listen to music and other audio inputs while using the camera. This is not possible with the Prism because of the intercom pairing, which gives the camera priority usage of the microphone and headphone.

I am sure that you are going to enjoy the 10c!

szurszewski

Let us know how you like it, once you've sorted it out. I'd be all over it now if it allowed me to use earbuds.

Yes - definitely do this. My wife and I have a pair of the original Sena units (before they were even firmware upgradeable), but now that our son is riding with us we're looking to upgrade so that we call all talk to each other simultaneously (we could add one unit for our son, but with our model you'd have to pick and switch with whom you spoke one at a time). Was thinking of going to the 20s and maybe adding a Prism, but the 10c seems like it would do all we want and add a camera right there....so, we wait and we research....

szurszewski
Thanks, I got the Sena 10C. Seems like a good fit for me since it also includes communicator...

Good choice. I was considering the 10c at the time as well, but it had not been released at that time. OTOH, I may have selected the Prism even if the 10c was available, because of it's flexibility regarding mounting locations.

BTW, a member of the other forum that I frequent had also gotten the 10c, and one feature that the 10c has that the Prism doesn't is that you can listen to music and other audio inputs while using the camera. This is not possible with the Prism because of the intercom pairing, which gives the camera priority usage of the microphone and headphone.

See? This is exactly the sort of thing I need - hadn't even THOUGHT about that aspect. +1 for the 10c

My understanding is that you can have more people in the conversation simultaneously with the 20s vs the 10c (from my reading of the specs, it's up to 10 with the 20s but only 4 with the 10c), but a lot of the other specs are very similar as is the pricing.

See? This is exactly the sort of thing I need - hadn't even THOUGHT about that aspect. +1 for the 10c

My understanding is that you can have more people in the conversation simultaneously with the 20s vs the 10c (from my reading of the specs, it's up to 10 with the 20s but only 4 with the 10c), but a lot of the other specs are very similar as is the pricing.

That is correct. I was leaning toward the 10c figuring that it would be an automatic upgrade for my SMH10 as well, but I still would have chosen the Prism over the 10c....to fit MY needs! I think that the video quality at 1080p is pretty much the same for both models. The 10c have less selections available for the different video resolutions/shutter-speed, but heck 1080p/30 is all that I would shoot anyway.

BTW, from what I understand, any intercom or telephone conversation WILL be recorded by the 10c, if it was in the recording mode. Don't know if you can turn this off or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to bite the bullet yesterday and ordered the SENA Prism. I got it, along with a spare battery and an on-bike charging cable. I bought the gear from Revzilla (would have tried RocketMoto -- where I've bought my other SENA kit -- but, they do not carry the Prism).

I had also considered the SENA 10C, but it does not allow me to use earbuds, and I hate in-helmet speakers. I also looked at GoPro. They're great cameras, but not designed first and foremost for motorcycling, as the Prism is. Also, with the GoPro, you have to spend additional $$ for anything other than the most basic of mounts. With the Prism, everything is included from the outset (they include a staggering array of well-thought-out mounts). Finally, the MSRP of the Prism has been reduced to $249 (from $399). Clearly, it's on its way out. Whether it will be updated, or dropped from SENA's lineup, remains to be seen.

Interesting tidbit I heard about SENA while listening to a Podcast interview of a SENA executive: SENA is a Bluetooth company and they first started making products for the industrial and commercial market. Turns out their CEO/co-owner is a rider and several years back, after trying many of the then-available intercoms/communicators, concluded that his company could do a better job with a Bluetooth intercom focused on riders.

Archived