IGNORED

RE: Repair Manual

Skywagon

I was looking at BMW Fiche today to replace a small part I scratched, and I noticed they now show a Repair Manual on DVD. See below for part number.

Any experience with BMW DVD Repair manuals? I know about Jim's.

01 DVD Reparaturanleitung K5x MULTILANGUAGE 1 01598555666 $121.19

2014 R1200RT..the one with water :)

I was looking at BMW Fiche today to replace a small part I scratched, and I noticed they now show a Repair Manual on DVD. See below for part number.

Any experience with BMW DVD Repair manuals? I know about Jim's.

01 DVD Reparaturanleitung K5x MULTILANGUAGE 1 01598555666 $121.19

2014 R1200RT..the one with water :)

That was one of the first thing that I had bought, once BMW had released it. Very handy to have, IMHO.

The BMW DVD is simply a compilation of factory-developed procedures developed for BMW dealership technicians. Dealer techs refer to this system when they work on your bike--difficult to understand why a DIY person wouldn't do the same.

I bought the DVD manual, would have preferred a paper manual. The DVD cost more than any paper service manual I've ever bought. But hey when you ride a BMW I guess that is normal.

Service manuals for our 2004 Toyota Sienna were $250 in 2005.

One (of three) for our 2002 Camry ran $85 in 2007.

IIRC, the two for the '92 Ford Club Wagon were about $180 in 1994.

So the price for the BMW DVD isn't terrible (though I do think they should include wiring diagrams).

I've had "factory" service manuals for most of my vehicles.

All paid for themselves many times over.

I don't mind the price at all. It is actually cheap compared to some I have owned.

But, I too wish I could get a nice paper copy. While I am completely comfortable with about anything to do with a computer, nothing serves as well as a book format for something like that.

• 1 month later...
Jim VonBaden

I have a copy of the factory DVD. It covers nearly everything, but it is designed for a trained tech, so it is not really a step-by-step like a Clymer or Haynes. Then again, it is pretty accurate, unlike a Clymer or Haynes, and it covers lots of processes they do not.

Jim :Cool:

Stan,

Convert to PDF, download an app such as Goodreader, then copy to your ipad (or iphone) and use. Absolutely brilliant!

All my company documentation for my job is delivered to me in this way.

I have all the service/info/owners manuals for most of my possessions stored in this way. I even have the owners, radio and nev5 books for the RT stored on the phone. Fully searchable, so much easier than the paper versions.

Convert to PDF...

Sadly it not just an electronic copy of a paper manual. It's a hyperlinked list of procedures to do each specific task. As in:

Remove brake fender

Remove brake caliper

Remove axle

Remove wheel

Remove tire

Patch tube

Click on any one of them and you get an expanded list of detailed steps, complete with pictures, links to torque values, tools, etc. Click it again and it goes back to just a line item.

Nicely done if you just happen to have a PC in the garage. :)

Individual procedures can be expanded and printed, but that would lead to a massive manual. I tried printing them to a file but it just hung my printer driver.

Oh well, I probably won't be rebuilding the engine alongside the road anyway!!!

I do have an old spare computer that I could move to the garage. I was planning to trash it so maybe this is a good use for it.

Stan

Convert to PDF...

Sadly it not just an electronic copy of a paper manual. It's a hyperlinked list of procedures to do each specific task. As in:

Remove brake fender

Remove brake caliper

Remove axle

Remove wheel

Remove tire

Patch tube

Click on any one of them and you get an expanded list of detailed steps, complete with pictures, links to torque values, tools, etc. Click it again and it goes back to just a line item.

Individual procedures can be expanded and printed, but that would lead to a massive manual. I tried printing them to a file but it just hung my printer driver.

I do have an old spare computer that I could move to the garage. I was planning to trash it so maybe this is a good use for it.

Stan

I do have the BMW DVD, and I haven't tried to do what I am about to say, but.....one of the option that I have, to create a pdf file, is to "print" to a pdf driver (seen as a printer). So, to get all of the steps that you'd mentioned printed out, I would click to expand all of the hyper-links and then print to pdf. That should give you everything that you need, as if you'd printed out onto paper! Come to think of it, you could print it out on paper and then scan the pages into pdf!

Convert to PDF...

Remove brake fender

Remove brake caliper

Remove axle

Remove wheel

Remove tire

Patch tube

Stan

I do have the BMW DVD, and I haven't tried to do what I am about to say, but.....one of the option that I have, to create a pdf file, is to "print" to a pdf driver (seen as a printer). So, to get all of the steps that you'd mentioned printed out, I would click to expand all of the hyper-links and then print to pdf. That should give you everything that you need, as if you'd printed out onto paper! Come to think of it, you could print it out on paper and then scan the pages into pdf!

I use the print to pdf option, then put the pdf file in Dropbox then use Dropbox to put the file on my ipad and iphone using Adobe reader to view the file.

It just isn't practical to convert or print the DVD procedures. I tried, just printing the links as I encountered them during common maintenance procedures. Filled a three inch binder and found that it was very difficult to find the page I needed, I had many duplicates because some tasks are common to many procedures, and I was constantly needing pages that had not yet been printed. So I still needed the PC. "Printing" to a PDF would have similar drawbacks and you would still lose the hyperlink capability.

There is a huge amount of information on the disk: 3.39GB in 62,105 Files,731 Folders. The disk covers all models, but I suspect that printing just the relevant model info at home could cost as much in paper and ink as a used Windows computer and swallow up a significant portion of your life. And most of the information would never be used...

For travelling, I have a refurbished 10" Asus T100 64Gb laptop/netbook/tablet. I prefer to use the keyboard, but it is detachable for use as a tablet with half the thickness. USB ports connect with my GS-911. It runs every Windows program I've tried, though I suppose it might choke on graphics intensive games. No optical disk drive, but I copied the DVD to it over our home wi-fi network. Works well for shop use and takes up less room on the bench than any of my printed manuals. And greasy fingerprints wipe off the screen easily - try that on a printed page!

I use the print to pdf option, then put the pdf file in Dropbox then use Dropbox to put the file on my ipad and iphone using Adobe reader to view the file.

Thanks. That works. It would be a pain for the entire manual, but maybe doable for procedures that I wanted to take while traveling. Probably not a lot of those, no engine rebuilds etc.

Stan

So I still needed the PC. "Printing" to a PDF would have similar drawbacks and you would still lose the hyperlink capability.

Very true. Oh well, I will not be doing a lot of stuff on this bike for the next 3 years minus about 15 days....... just routine servicing.

Archived