IGNORED

exaust popping on deceleration on R1100R

Matthew Miller

Matthew Miller

My R1100RL has 21,000 miles it. Very recently within the past 2 tanks of gas, my exaust, sorry for the spelling tonight, has begun popping while I am decelerating mainly in 1st or 2nd gear. It happens mostly 4,000 RPM and down. I always run either 92 or 93 octane gas. Kind of reminds me of riding a 2 cycle with expansion chambers on it. Any ideas of what I should look for or is it just normal for a boxer. I only purchased this bike in the beginning of June this year. The bike had 19,000 miles when I bought it so I do not know if the 18,000 mile valve adjustment had been done. Either way I will do a major tune up at 24,000 miles.

roger 04 rt

Hi Matthew, Tell us more about your bike. Are the exhaust and intake 100% stock, are there any fuel altering devices, what coding plug is installed and what year is your motorcycle?

Morning Matthew

It could be engine mechanical, like a valve (but unlikely).

Much more likely that you have an exhaust leak (into the exhaust system) on dropped throttle.

Look for signs of leakage at the cyl head to pipe connection, & look in the cat connection area (anything loose there?)

The other place to look is at top front & rear of catalytic converter, (the 1100 in noted for cracking in those areas)

Also check rear of muffler exit as they tend to rust out there.

Otherwise make sure the choke is all the way OFF, the throttle body cables are adjusted correctly, & the TPS is set to go below .400 volts at closed throttle.

Then verify your bike has the correct CCP in the fuse box.

If your bike has an aftermarket muffler then all bets are off on eliminating dropped throttle popping in the exhaust.

The usual cause of popping on decal is air entering the exhaust system promoting afterburn, OR, the fuel (fuel injectors) not shutting off on dropped throttle (providing fuel for the popping to use).

Matthew Miller

thank you for some things to look at. the bike is a 2001 R1100RL completely stock in perfect condition. It has 21,000 miles on it. Could it be something as simple as bad gas being it just started. Recently the bike was just gone through by a BMW mechanic and was told everything is perfect. I can not see anything that looks like a leak. If the popping continues I will look further for mechanical problems. I am going to do a major tune-up at 24,000 miles. Thanks once again.

DavidMantle

I have a `96 1100RT and mine pops on the overrun also. Everything on the bike is perfect so I am just accepting it as part of the bikes charater. Learn to live with the small imperfection - it is just the bikes way of "talking" to you.

Matthew Miller

Thanks, I love imperfections in bikes. I just like to make sure new things to me are imperfections and not symptoms of problems.

Archived