IGNORED

Mesh Moto Pants

BFish

Folks,

I lost a bit of weight (actually a lot) and my BMW summer pants are a tad too big.

Been looking around and found Tour Master Venture Air Pants, which appear to be a reasonably priced alternative.

Any users or other advice on other options....good/bad whatever?

Thanks.

Folks,

I lost a bit of weight (actually a lot) and my BMW summer pants are a tad too big.

Been looking around and found Tour Master Venture Air Pants, which appear to be a reasonably priced alternative.

Thanks.

I have been using that overpants for a couple of years now, and I like it. The mesh is very good for the hot summer, even if the pads at the knees block out some of the air flow. It does come with a waterproof liner, but I haven't used it at all.

Brian,

I purchased the Revit Cayenne pro pants from Revzilla earlier this year before my trip to Texas and back. They were great, comfortable, felt protective and cool on the hot days. Not inexpensive though. They come in a couple of lengths which was good for me. They do not have any liner, strictly warm weather.

as usual, too much good info :dopeslap:

i lost so much weight can't wear any of my moto pants...don't care that the jax are a bit large.

I have a pair of the Tourmaster Venture Airs and wear the heck out of them. They also come with a thermal liner along with the rain liner so they are rather warm when it gets colder. They have nice air flow with the liners removed and they are the coolest pants I have. The goofy hip guards have curled and they drive me crazy so I don't usually have them in (yeah, I know). The 100# velcro on the side pocket seems like overkill because there is a zipper so the pocket irritates me. But I don't normally use the pocket. They seem to be holding up well and I would buy another pair.

great...and there priced pretty good too!

appreciate it.

Yup. I have some other Tourmaster gear and I always find it a good value. But, I haven't crashed in it either. So I've not tested it's real value. I'm hoping not to. :thumbsup:

Hi Brian,

I have a pair of the Olympia airglide mesh overpants that I have had for many years and they are comfortable. FYI-I don't use them as overpants. I use them along with LD Comfort riding shorts year round.

CoarsegoldKid

I have personal experience with Olympia mesh pants in a 30mph lowside. Shreds them. The only thing that saved my thigh was my wallet in the front pocket. I still use my wallet with the scars of that event. The pants I threw in the trash. I guess the good news is they worked for a couple of seconds. No more maybe less. I have no recommendations for mesh.

Well my experience was completely different. I had a relatively low speed tankslapper where the bike went over hard on it's right side. My helmet was a writeoff, and the collar and right shoulder of my Olympia jacket had sustained damage as well. The Airglide pants looked just as they had when I put them on that morning. Did I slide along the pavement, no. Mine was more of an impact with rolling along the asphalt.

YMMV.

Oh, and I'm still wearing those as my mesh pants more than four years later. I did upgrade the hip armor with some from Held.

I swear by Motoport. I toured the factory for an upcoming article in ON, and they've got some other brands on display after relatively minor crashes. Kleenex would hold up better. Hyperbole? Maybe. But why take chances? Get the good stuff!

http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnmotoport.pdf

-MKL

+1

They were not cheap but they wear like iron. After 5 years they still look like new.

Yes. And after what I've seen of the lesser brands in action, I'd pay triple what they charged me for these. I'm testing the matching jacket now for ON. Wow!!! That's all I can say.

-MKL

I have the jacket also, didn't mention that earlier. With the liner in I can get through most of my year around commute here in the NW. When it gets real cold, 2 months maybe, the Aerostitch and heated liner go on.

I have the Motoport mesh jacket, with electric liner it's an all season jacket. I throw a light rain jacket over it when there's a real rain storm. My GTL keeps most rain off, if I keep moving.

I love the jacket, had it about five years. Custom built, has the pocket and reflector options I like, it's dirty, but otherwise still looks and works like new. Very HD zippers.

I also have the Kevlar overpants in stretch, not mesh material. Very comfy, very easy on and off, good zippers, armor stays in place and is very well located. I feel very protected in my Motoport gear.

They also have some fancy-smancy super armor you can up-grade to.

For protection, not fashion, this may be the best riding gear you can buy.

I recommend it to everyone.

I swear by Motoport. I toured the factory for an upcoming article in ON, and they've got some other brands on display after relatively minor crashes. Kleenex would hold up better. Hyperbole? Maybe. But why take chances? Get the good stuff!

http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnmotoport.pdf

-MKL

With your new RTW -- beware the Motoport mesh pants!

Not in don't wear them, but in protect your tank -- they will be like sandpaper on your new baby's tank.

Before I put any miles on my RTW, I installed a 3M film kit. I'll probably get it redone by a professional at some point to get a better looking installation, but in the meantime I don't have to worry about my 'stich pant legs scratching the tank.

I actually have found the paint on the RTW to be more durable than my 2006 version. The areas that come in contact with my motoport pants show no wear after 13k miles....

i-xwmjCNw-M.jpg

Good advice. I actually had to get the pants modified for my last bike, an HD FLD. The zipper is on the inside of the pant leg, and scratched the hell out of the primary cover. So they added a flap that covers the zipper and closes via velcro. I'll pay attention to this issue, though, thanks.

-MKL

I have the jacket also, didn't mention that earlier. With the liner in I can get through most of my year around commute here in the NW. When it gets real cold, 2 months maybe, the Aerostitch and heated liner go on.

I don't have any heated gears at all. I have been using the Motoport with both liners in for winter riding here, sometimes in the 20's. Quite comfortable.

Motoport offers a heated zip-in liner, which is basically the same Warm & Safe 90W model I tested for Owner's News. Just FYI....

-MKL

MontanaMark

Just to add my 2cts,

I've been using Tourmaster gear for the last 6 years; intake jacket & venture pants. With the different layers, I've found that I have just about the best solution to all the various weather conditions I encounter. I've ridden in downpours without getting a drop of water inside the gear. I've ridden in 114° heat without dying (as long as I'm moving). This is the best gear for the price I've found. I know, it's not Aerostitch, but it certainly does the job for me.

Last winter, I added heated gloves (gerbing) and jacket (hotwired, from cycle gear), to extend my riding season. Here in Montana, that aint much, but at least I can ride in relative comfort.

Cheers,

Mark

I have Joe Rocket Phoenix 3 mesh pants and I love them. I have not "tested" them, but I was right behind a woman who hit a pothole and flipped her bike, she skidded ten yards or so in her Joe Rocket gear - jacket and pants were torn up but she was unscratched. That sold me. They're also very reasonably priced and have nice features - Velcro adjustable waist, full side-zip legs, good air flow. No liner though, if that's important to you. I have another pair of pants for cooler weather.

My wife has Olympia Airglide pants and she likes those pretty well too.

Lighthiker90
I have personal experience with Olympia mesh pants in a 30mph lowside. Shreds them. The only thing that saved my thigh was my wallet in the front pocket. I still use my wallet with the scars of that event. The pants I threw in the trash. I guess the good news is they worked for a couple of seconds. No more maybe less. I have no recommendations for mesh.

I would argue the pants did the job. Nothing holds up to a slide on asphalt. Even leathers shred if the slide is long enough. If you slide the gear does it's job and has to be replaced. It is a one time use. I have the Olympia mesh pants. I like them a lot. Low sided with a pair of Castle Air Velocity cheap stuff. Shredded but did the job.

pedro cerveza

Ditto- In addition the loose fit allowed the knee armor to shift away from my knee. The result was not pretty. I swear by my Motoport pants. It took a few back and forths to get them fitted but it was worth the grief.

Plus ++++ on motopants. A custom fit is essential to keep the

armor where it's supposed to be. Had mine since 2006 and still like new. Flows tons of air. Hope I never need to "test" them.

I need to get a jacket someday. Use a Olympia air mesh now and

while it flows air I know the fit and location of the pads isn't what it should be.

Lone_RT_rider

I think those that recommended Motoport must have not read Brian's criteria. There is nothing reasonably priced about them IMHO. Yes, they are the best, but not everyone can always afford the best. YMMV

Shawn

I think those that recommended Motoport must have not read Brian's criteria. There is nothing reasonably priced about them IMHO. Yes, they are the best, but not everyone can always afford the best. YMMV

Shawn

That depends on how you define "reasonable." My definition of "reasonably priced gear" is "have you checked hospital bills lately?" Put me on a moped with my Motoport before you put me on a BMW with a $99 jacket made of nylon. Priorities.

-MKL

You (usually) get what you pay for. I tend to get what fits and performs best, and that usually IS higher priced gear...

Either buy gear that fits and performs, or go for less expensive sometimes ill fitting gear.

Spend 500 on pants that last 10 years, or spend 250 on pants that last 3-5 years. The deciding factor should be FIT and performance.

I've got BMW airflow AND Olympia airglide.

The fit and finish of the BMW stuff is well above the Olympia stuff.

I'll check out Motoport if and when the BMW stuff wears out, and after 6 years of weekend commute use, that doesn't look like anytime soon,

Go above your spend level and get the stuff your body deserves.

MB>

it's not the price...i do have BMW summer pants. They just don't fit anymore. i usually start low and work my way up as i peruse the options.

Thanks to everyone for the input and wisdom.

I've got BMW airflow AND Olympia airglide.

The fit and finish of the BMW stuff is well above the Olympia stuff.

Which is cooler? (temperature, not style)

Don't waste your money on anything but Motoport. I don't think they are pricy compared to skin grafting. My motto "buy the best and cry once"

Archived