IGNORED

So my Zumo 550 screen has started acting strange

Bud

By that I mean it is responding wrongly, when evens respond at all. Can not get to maps.

Is it done for?????????

Over on the Zumo forum you can information on replacing the touch screen with parts bought on eBay. If you don't want to do that you can pay Garmin to fix it. I believe they charge a flat rate of $150 not matter what is wrong.

Over on the Zumo forum you can information on replacing the touch screen with parts bought on eBay. If you don't want to do that you can pay Garmin to fix it. I believe they charge a flat rate of $150 not matter what is wrong.

Garmin simply sends you a refurbished unit for that flat fee (as in it's not like you get your unit back).

Garmin simply sends you a refurbished unit for that flat fee (as in it's not like you get your unit back).

If you whine and complain about your expensive Zumo failing again, they will reduce the price to $100!

I am on my 4th unit counting the original.......

If you whine and complain about your expensive Zumo failing again, they will reduce the price to $100!

I am on my 4th unit counting the original.......

I thought (not confirmed) that Garmin had stopped repairing the 450/550 line. I believe it was $150.

Yes Garmin has stopped fixing and support for the 550. I have one that went out and called them about 6 months ago. I put the new screen in mine and that still did not fix it. Not sure if there are any other options out there to get it fixed.

Morning Bud

Usually -not always though- weird screen actions on the Z-550 can be repaired by cleaning the edge of the screen (up under the case edge around the screen)

An old 35mm film strip or even a thin cardboard usually works.

The Z-550 has a touch screen of sorts so dirt (gunk) gets under the screen edge & puts a bind on the screen edge making it act weird.

Otherwise you can buy a new (cheap) screen on E-Bay then replace your existing screen (pain to do but not brain surgery)-- Lots of how-to's on the Interweb.

Yes Garmin has stopped fixing and support for the 550. I have one that went out and called them about 6 months ago. I put the new screen in mine and that still did not fix it. Not sure if there are any other options out there to get it fixed.

I found this interesting since I have a non-functional 550 now. I checked and found you are right. Since I have an older 276C also I checked to see if it was still supported and found out that even though it is older then the 550 I can still get it repaired. Garmin states something like the 550 being old is the reason they are not supporting it yet they are still supporting my older 276C. I believe they just had so many touch screen problems and did not want to fix the problem permanently by doing some research on how.

I believe they just had so many touch screen problems and did not want to fix the problem permanently by doing some research on how.

Add button problems and you might be on to something. :S

Morning Bud

Usually -not always though- weird screen actions on the Z-550 can be repaired by cleaning the edge of the screen (up under the case edge around the screen)

An old 35mm film strip or even a thin cardboard usually works.

The Z-550 has a touch screen of sorts so dirt (gunk) gets under the screen edge & puts a bind on the screen edge making it act weird.

Otherwise you can buy a new (cheap) screen on E-Bay then replace your existing screen (pain to do but not brain surgery)-- Lots of how-to's on the Interweb.

Looks like I will have to open it up.

And while you're in there, you might want to inspect your 5 rubber buttons. Some of them are likely about to fall off. DAMHIK. You can use a little silicone around the buttons to help prevent loss.

Afternoon Bud

You don't have to open it up to clean under the screen edge, just slide something thin & non scratching up into case along the screen perimeter.

Afternoon Bud

You don't have to open it up to clean under the screen edge, just slide something thin & non scratching up into case along the screen perimeter.

Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

Tried that, didn't help. :dopeslap:

And while you're in there, you might want to inspect your 5 rubber buttons. Some of them are likely about to fall off. DAMHIK. You can use a little silicone around the buttons to help prevent loss.

Thanks. My riding buddy has had all of his fall off!

Afternoon Bud

Tried that, didn't help.

Afternoon Bud

OK, then try a hard re-set and/or a battery removal & a hard re-set.

If that doesn't work then---

Then put zumo 550 digitizer in E-Bay search & buy a new digitizer ($9.00- to about $50.00)--not that difficult to install.

Just watch the delivery times as buying a digitizer from a foreign country can take some time getting here. (as far as I can tell they all seem to work about the same)

Thanks. My riding buddy has had all of his fall off!

Afternoon Bud

Those broken buttons can be repaired with a decent working not too bad looking repair. Just catch them before they get real bad & break a piece out of the case farther out than the button surround depression.

I just cut the originals out using a very sharp EXacto knife-- then I use a rubber grommet & a reworked automotive plastic panel retaining Christmas tree. (homemade replacement buttons are actually easier to use with gloves on than the Zumo originals)

I just cut the originals out using a very sharp EXacto knife-- then I use a rubber grommet & a reworked automotive plastic panel retaining Christmas tree. (homemade replacement buttons are actually easier to use with gloves on than the Zumo originals)

Nice. I lost my + button and fabricated another out of a small rubber stopper from Lowes. I even stamped the + on it with a hot screwdriver. You can't even tell.

OK, I'm going out on a limb here, but why not just chuck the 550 and buy a new GPS? I suspect that you've gotten your money out of it.

OK, I'm going out on a limb here, but why not just chuck the 550 and buy a new GPS? I suspect that you've gotten your money out of it.

Because the cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars. :rofl:

It's the same reason I just bought Foots 09 GS instead of buying a new one.

My wife doesn't ride but has no problem with me riding. In fact, till last week, I had three bikes in the garage. Down to two Beemers now. the GS and a 99RT. Being married 48 years, I wouldn't feel right buying a new $25K bike from which she would get no enjoyment.

Unlike Warren Buffett, my income isn't unlimited.

Because the cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars. :rofl:

It's the same reason I just bought Foots 09 GS instead of buying a new one.

My wife doesn't ride but has no problem with me riding. In fact, till last week, I had three bikes in the garage. Down to two Beemers now. the GS and a 99RT. Being married 48 years, I wouldn't feel right buying a new $25K bike from which she would get no enjoyment.

Unlike Warren Buffett, my income isn't unlimited.

I hear you, but the price of a GPS is a far cry from the price of a bike. Whenever I buy any sort of consumer electronics, I immediately write its value down to zero. Good luck, no matter what you do.

I look at it like a flat tire on a motorcycle. Just because the tire is flat doesn't mean I need a new motorcycle.

Penny saved, penny earned.

But I've owned a lot of sailboats during the last 40 years because my wife's passion is sailing. So I know that friends have wondered a lot about about selling one and buying another. I never earned a penny on any of them. :rofl:

aggieengineer

I've had the same problem on the 550 I bought in 2007. Twice. Both times, I've replaced the digitizer screen and brought the unit back to normal operation. I like the Zumo 550, so I keep a spare screen at the ready. Cheap insurance.

John Ranalletta

Last year, Garmin told me they do not service 550s any longer. Bot a used unit from another member.

Also, if your unit is TU and you have lifetime maps, you're SOL. The maps go with the unit, not the owner; so, you'll have to re-up for new maps, unless you buy a used unit with lifetime maps.

Archived