IGNORED

Metzler Roadtec Z6 Tires

Matthew Miller

Matthew Miller

I have a BMW R1100RL with Metzler Roadtec Z6 tires on it. I just replaced the front tire when I purchased the bike 2,000 miles ago. I mainly ride on country twisty roads and country type city driving. Does anyone have an idea of a guestimate of about how many miles I might expect to get with these tires on the front and rear.

szurszewski

Varies greatly by riding style, pavement type, weight on bike etc.

I got 13,000 miles out of a set on my rt. Half touring two up and half local rides and errands all on west coast pavement. Very not aggressive is my riding style.

Stan Walker

I get around 12,000 miles per set. I always replace in pairs.

NOTE: I'm a smell the roses type of rider. Your mileage may be quite a bit less.

WARNING: Rear tire wear bars are not located in center of tread. Some riders have ended up showing cord thinking they still had tread left based on wear bars. My rule for these tires is to replace when the wear bar and the tread are at the same level.

Stan

I typically got 8-10k miles out of Z6's on my RT. The problem was the same warning that Stan mentioned above. Twice, I ended up with cords showing on the rear tire with no warning at all. Looked great one day, the next day I would have a 1" strip of cord showing the whole way around the tire. I always liked the handling, but after that, I started running Michelin Pilot Roads.

The last Z6 I pulled off

MAYhem_07-221_Print.jpg

I typically got 8-10k miles out of Z6's on my RT. The problem was the same warning that Stan mentioned above. Twice, I ended up with cords showing on the rear tire with no warning at all. Looked great one day, the next day I would have a 1" strip of cord showing the whole way around the tire. I always liked the handling, but after that, I started running Michelin Pilot Roads.

The last Z6 I pulled off

MAYhem_07-221_Print.jpg

Question for you - do you find the Michelin's handle as well in gravel? My experience with them was no control at all in gravel whereas the Metzlers were still safe.

I don't recall having any issues with them on dirt/gravel. I had my RT off the beaten path many many many.....too many times. I can't imagine one street tire being much better than another street tire in gravel, but I had the Pilot Roads on dirt, mud, gravel, fire roads, and even crossed a knee deep rocky creek. Then I finally came to my senses and bought a GS :)

I got just over 8,200 miles on my original Z6's. Ran Z8's after that and got ~9K on the first two sets. On my third set I got about 7K. Current set is at 7K and looks okay. That said, am about to take a trip and will probably replace them. Am thinking of trying the Pilot Roads...

I don't think I ride that aggressively...but hard to tell. I live in Houston so summer road trips mean that there is usually about 600 miles of high speed riding to get out of Texas...and to get back home. High heat and high speed (75-85mph) can take a lot out of tires.

Afternoon Matthew

The Z-6 is one of my all time favorite tires for the BMW boxer bikes (getting difficult to find anymore though). Very predictable when pushed past normal tire requirements & side slip at extreme lean angles is very predictable & controllable.

I typically get around 6K on the front & about 5K on the rear BUT-- I am not a smell the roses type rider & tend to push my motorcycle & it's tires very/very hard. If my brake rotors are not a deep purple on returning home then I probably wasn't the one riding it.

Stan Walker

The Z-6 is one of my all time favorite tires for the BMW boxer bikes

Mine too. Tried the Z-8 but wasn't happy with it, went back to the Z-6.

Unlike DR I'm a "smell the roses" type rider, often getting in excess of 12 K on a set of Z-6's. I just returned from a 5200 mile trip on mostly curvy roads and the current Z-6 tire set, new when I left home, still looks good to go again.

Stan

I just logged onto Tucker Rocky, they have a good quantity of the Z6's.

The 180/17 "K" tire they are sold out of but the standard duty ones are there.

Archived