IGNORED

time for a new battery for my 04 R1150RT

Rev. Jerry

I bought my bike new in July 2003 and it needs a new battery ALREADY! Only 12 years on the original BMW Exide AGM battery without using a charger. However now its cranking slowly but still working. It is marked June 03. Guess I'll spring for one just like it came with. Sure cant complain, can I?

You could complain but I sense a lack of sympathy in this audience.

I bought a PC680 3 years ago to replace the original in my '04 RT. Since we live north of border, the bike spends 4-6 months on the tender bundled up in the garage. The earlier than normal failure was eventually tracked down to a poor connection in the male part of the charger plug in. The battery spent the winter in a discharged state.

Sulphation is not reversible!

I bought my bike new in July 2003 and it needs a new battery ALREADY! Only 12 years on the original BMW Exide AGM battery without using a charger. However now its cranking slowly but still working. It is marked June 03. Guess I'll spring for one just like it came with. Sure cant complain, can I?

Morning RevJerry

That can't be the original battery as the 2003 (first twin spark bikes) came with Gel battery's not AGM's.

:rofl: There must be something in the air. My battery gave up the ghost a few days ago. I haven't actually pulled my old battery out yet, but when I peek under the tank after pulling off the seat, I can see that it's a BMW-branded gel. I wonder if it's the original? I've only had this bike for a little over a month. When I get my new battery and pull the old one, I'll try and find the mfg date on it.

Beemer Boneyard has Westco AGM batteries for a decent price - $80 + shipping.

Morning brianh70

If it is a BMW OEM or BMW sold battery there should be a date stamped on it (that is the sell-by date) so not always easy to tell if it is the OEM that came with the bike.

Do some research on the latest Westco battery's-- last few I have dealt with have been junk. Westco doesn't make batteries they just re-brand someone else's so Westco battery integrity is up to the cheapest supplier's integrity at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going with the Westco from Beemer Boneyard. It's slightly shorter than the stock battery so the mounting strap wasn't holding it securely. Luckily I had some 2mm thick plastic sheets lying around from another project so I cut out a shim and now it fits like it should.

"Popping" the mirror off sure was nerve wracking since I'd never done it before. I had visions of broken clips, cracked plastic or worse.

I see what you mean, DR. There's a wide range of reviews on Westco batteries - everything from the best thing since sliced bread to pure junk. I did notice more positive than negative reviews, though. Hopefully I'll be one of the happy 5-star customers.

And the old battery? It had a sell-by date of 05-2012, so definitely not the original.

I believe the first Westco batteries were in fact re-badged Panasonic part number LC-X1228. Not sure what the current ones are now.

Archived