IGNORED

Impact wrenches - cordless type recomendations

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

I would like to purchase an impact wrench that utilizes lithium batteries capable of holding power enough to remove 5 wheel lugs on 4 wheels torqued to 100 lbs. Installation torque up to about 90 lbs. torque for the same wheels. I'll finish off the torque with a torque wrench. What size battery? I've seen ones with 1/2" drive which would be dedicated to the task and others with quick change chucks and bits with a 1/2" drive. I wonder if that style would break the bit at 90 lbs.

Recommendations?

I use my old Snap-On 3/8" 14volt impact with old NiCad batteries and it works fine. I take the wheels off my Honda tq'd at 90lb. for rotate and install all on one charge.

I have 3/8" driver adaptor that hold all kinds of bits and use this tool to drive screws into studs, fence and deck repair and

lots more. After you get one you'll wonder how you got along without it.

The new lithium style are even better with lots of power and run time. Any good brand will work. Ingersoll Rand , DeWalt, Maketa,

Milwaukee. Most of them are 18 to 20volts. I like the DeWalt for it,s small size and big power.

Check out the package deals that offer impact, drill, lights etc.

You can get a lot of tools at crazy prices.

Just tell the seller you are going home and try the tool on your wheels and if it doesn't do the job it's coming back.

1/2" impact is overkill unless you work on big stuff.

The 20V lithium units are amazing. Helping the wife's uncle move from Mesa AZ to Florida and naturally had a flat on the UHaul truck so I'm expecting a big repair truck with the huge compressor but young kid in a old Datsun truck shows up with a tire/rim and a 1/2 DeWalt 20V. I smirked and then the kid breaks those 150 pound torques like a sharp knife thru hot butter. Beauty of the lithium units is they don't lose charge off the charger and you can't crisp them left on the charger.

I'm a little biased.......but you can't go wrong with a Dewalt

DCF889B (bare tool)

DCF889M2 (includes tool, charger, and 2 batteries)

It will do just about any job you can throw at it. I have used one to intentionally snap rusted lugs off in the past. One battery is plenty for regular home use as long as you remember to put it on the charger when you are done so it will be ready for next time. BTW, removing and installing 20 lug nuts wouldn't even scratch the surface of what the tool/battery are capable of doing. You could probably do that 5-6-7 times before you would notice the battery getting weak.

I looked around and finally chose on one of the Bosch brushless motor units.

There were several reasons, but two at the top of the list were:

(i) very good ergonomics (grip shape and balance), and

(ii) its unique combination of both a 1/2" socket drive and a 1/4" hex in the nose -- one tool for nearly everything.

It has removed the 100 ft-lb lug nuts on one of the vettes, and the *160* ft-lb lug nuts on the wife's F-150.

I've used it for a bunch of work, and I've yet to fully discharge the first Li battery pack.

I've had a Ryobi 18V for several years. It is a remarkable tool for being so inexpensive. There are two size of lithium ion batteries. Even the compact one should do what you want, but the larger one is what I generally clip into the impact wrench.

I've removed and re-installed all 4 of my 6 lug trailer wheels with ease, and three RTs were reduced to individual parts in no time with this tool.

Mine is a 1/2 inch drive, but a simple adapter makes the use of 3/8 tools a breeze.

Bill_Walker

I've got a DeWalt, and I'm amazed at how many bolts I can remove on one NiCad battery. I did a hydraulic overhaul on a Ford 2N tractor and used it to pull all the bolts on the seat, the top cover, the side covers, the PTO cover and the bottom cover and didn't run out of juice. 6-12 bolts each on all the covers. I came prepared with a spare battery and a charger, but didn't need them.

Ryobi just updated their 1/2" impact driver (Model P261, now rated at 300 ft. lbs.) Many Home Depot stores are still selling the earlier P260 model so if purchasing make sure you get the P261 as it is the same price as the older model but much heavier-duty. It will spin lug nuts off even an RV like they were nothing, beats carrying a large breaker bar.

Actually all the higher-quality brands are pretty amazing in terms of power, it mostly just depends on what battery 'ecosystem' you are in, or want to be in.

I try pretty hard to never let anyone with an impact wrench near my bikes and cars. I'm simply not giving permission to deface my property.

I do find impact tools useful for removing nuts holding steering wheels and for some car suspension work.

Archived