IGNORED

Worst road I have ever taken my RT on!!

Stan Walker

Stan Walker

My GPS is developing a warped sense of humor.

Find highway 211 going over to Ferndale in Calif. Follow it over to the coast, down the coast a few miles, then over to Petrolia and on to the Humboldt Redwoods.

Worst paved road I have EVER been on. It has potholes in the potholes. Millions of poorly filled potholes. Dirt sections. One lane sections. One lane bridges. A one lane wooden bridge where you had to ride on the wooden planks slightly wider than a car tire. Sharp 180 degree turns going uphill and some going downhill (1st gear!!).

Did I mention logging trucks and redneck drivers?

Road so rough that I did most of it in 2nd gear!!!

But the seashore was pretty and the Redwoods awesome!

Mattole Road? Bitchin' road.

I've ridden it a few times on my KLR and once on my RT.

Buddy of mine came with me once, he on his Suzuki C90.

Tom

Did this ride a couple of times some years ago. Great scenery and all but the road was pretty bad. It's the same road and it hasn't changed. Watch out for the road ruts!

Did that road 2 years ago. Lousy as you say but when you finally can see the ocean it is all worth the trip. I remember meeting a large pick up towing horses. Had to leave the road just a little bit.

Amazing roads all up the coast, as if getting to the coast itself has to be earned by paying certain dues, like dodging logging trucks, marveling at bicyclists far braver than I and dropping a tire into a pit. But oh so worth it, MacKerricher State Park all the way up...

My GPS is developing a warped sense of humor.

Find highway 211 going over to Ferndale in Calif. Follow it over to the coast, down the coast a few miles, then over to Petrolia and on to the Humboldt Redwoods.

Worst paved road I have EVER been on. It has potholes in the potholes. Millions of poorly filled potholes. Dirt sections. One lane sections. One lane bridges. A one lane wooden bridge where you had to ride on the wooden planks slightly wider than a car tire. Sharp 180 degree turns going uphill and some going downhill (1st gear!!).

Road so rough that I did most of it in 2nd gear!!!

But the seashore was pretty and the Redwoods awesome!

I'll add I75 between Detroit and Toledo, OH as the worst stretch of highway in the country. Potholes for 30 miles, in every lane, frost heaves, trucks in all lanes doing 80, makes for a less than enjoyable experience.

RPG

Been there done that ----in a cage. I can't imagine doing it on 2 wheels. Stan's ride got him to a beautiful ocean view. Sorry you only had Toledo and Detroit to look at.

Starts earlier, going thru the city of Sinsuhnatty on I 75.

Ugghhhly road full of rim bending tire eaters, metal covers, and general mayhem.

We have a nice one here that the car racers blew up.

Local gov't milled it, grooved it, left 50 yard gapd of crushed asphalt, totally tore up alternating sides and coned it with sometimes both sides done leaving a narrow path up the painted lines in the middle.

Needless to say. No one races there anymore.

Lone_RT_rider

Rednecks in California? You will never convince the locals around here that's possible. lol :)

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday morning, halfway to Lake Edison on Kaiser Pass Road

20447300225_bcc528ebc3_b.jpg

Picture at the pass on the way back (and yes, that's my buddy's Moto Guzzi California. He replaced the Suzuki C90 with the Guzzi.)

20447283375_4b9c92c132_b.jpg

Tom

Archived