IGNORED

Congratulations Kirsten on Another Great IBR Finish

EffBee

Congratulations to our own Kirsten Talken-Spalding on a GREAT Iron Butt Rally. Kirsten was a Gold Medal finisher, coming in 14th overall and was as high as 5th at the end of the second leg. She rode 11,805 miles in 11 days, traveled through 26 states, and earned a total of 83,083 points by visiting 65 U.S. National Parks, among other bonuses. And she gave it her all, coming in to the last checkpoint minutes before the penalty period began.

This is Kirsten's THIRD consecutive Top 15 finish, and her third Gold Medal in three attempts in the most grueling motorcycle road rally in the world. Kirsten, you are some rider and one heck of a competitor. We, your BMWST.com family, are proud of you, Kirsten. We know Jennifer and all your family and friends are also extremely proud of you, too.

Way to GO!!!!!!!!

Incredible!!!

Really big jump in her effectiveness too, IIRC, she did a bit over 15K miles last time out .

Way to go Kirsten, very proud of your finish!

Matthew Miller

am I correct that in order to cover 1,000 miles in 24 hours, you must average 50 miles per hour for 20 hours a day. Most roads that I know you can not travel more than 65 miles per hour legally, Even at 70 miles per hour with gas I would think it still averages out to 50 miles per hour over-all. I would like to do an iron butt ride on my BMW R1100RL next year when I get a seat that is comfortable. My usual rides are about 300 miles per day.

Most roads that I know you can not travel more than 65 miles per hour legally

Welcome to living on the Right coast :(

higher averages can be maintained in the West. That said, I've done a few SS1000s out of Northern Virginia. It's mostly a matter of riding at the speed limit or so and minimizing time lost dawdling at stops. I ride at ~limit + 5, and figure I'll average 50 mph over the day, including stops. 19-20 hours for an SS1000, without "pushing" or otherwise turning the ride into an unpleasant experience.

Two bits of advice: (i) Read and ABSORB the sage advice on the Iron Butt Assoc.'s list of 28 items in the Archive of Wisdom http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm and (ii) build up to it -- smaller trips of increasing distance to sort out your gear and build your strength.

Oh, and: HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!!! If you are thirsty, it's too late. On-board water supply is a must.

Matthew Miller

Thank you I will do exactly as you say. I have already read the list you mentioned however I will be referring to it again, and I will work up to it slowly. At the end of the year I will be having a Russel Day-long seat made for me, as the stock seat on my 2001 BMW R1100RL just does not fit me comfortably. After 30 minutes I spend the rest of day trying to get comfortable.

Congrats on an awesome ride! :thumbsup:

WOW, in more ways than one.

Fabulous accomplishment.

:clap:

You earned a respite, hope you get one.

Best wishes.

We, your BMWST.com family, are proud of you, Kirsten. We know Jennifer and all your family and friends are also extremely proud of you, too.

Way to GO!!!!!!!!

I am humbled by your kind words. You know, thinking about you all here on BMWST and all that I've learned riding and reading with you all made a huge difference.

As seems to be the case for me, I get rather nervous and can talk myself out of riding well sometimes. My awareness of what my body is doing while I ride partly comes from time in the saddle with you all and listening to some superior riding feedback, "Loosen your elbows and relax; push on the footpeg and "kiss" your mirror; let the low gears decrease your speed down steep grades...." I used it all this rally.

Thanks to this board for giving me so much and continuing to be such a great resource.

For those that didn't get a chance to follow along on the blog, Jennifer did an outstanding job helping to tell the story of this year's ride. You can read it all and even leave comments should you be so inclined at: KTsRidin Blogspot

Thanks again all,

Kirsten

(a.k.a. 2015 IBR Rider #2, IBA #404)

Archived