IGNORED

quick alternator check ?

schneeman

96 R1100RT, if i want to check if alternator is working i measure voltage with engine off, and the remeasure with engine running ? Waht sort of voltage values should i get with good batt and engine riunning ?

Basically, i went for a few h ride, all fine, batt light off as it should be. After coming back hooked a charger to the batt as i always do, and noticed it indicated quite low charge, i think it showed 25%, after a few mins climbed back to 100%. The battery is not very fresh, so i am wondering if it is batt problem or perhaps alternator is not working. If latter was the case though, the batt light would come on while riding, right ?

Thanks for any comments

Greetings

96 R1100RT, if i want to check if alternator is working i measure voltage with engine off, and the remeasure with engine running ? Waht sort of voltage values should i get with good batt and engine riunning ?

Basically, i went for a few h ride, all fine, batt light off as it should be. After coming back hooked a charger to the batt as i always do, and noticed it indicated quite low charge, i think it showed 25%, after a few mins climbed back to 100%. The battery is not very fresh, so i am wondering if it is batt problem or perhaps alternator is not working. If latter was the case though, the batt light would come on while riding, right ?

Morning schneeman

The dash (bat) light only shows some failures as it is a voltage bias driven warning light.

It is difficult to give you base (engine off) voltages as that depends on how long since it was ridden or how long since battery charged-- but key-on engine off should be in the 12 volt range (under 13 volts).

With engine running after restart & engine RPM's at or above fast idle it should show 13.6v- to low 14v range.

You might also want to allow bike to sit all night (no battery charger on it) then measure (static) battery voltage next day (depending on battery type & battery age) it should be in the 12.6v-12.8 range if battery is good & no parasitic draw on the battery overnight.

If you suspect alternator output problems then start by checking alternator belt condition & for belt being tight.

Archived