IGNORED

ECU Remap

kltk165

Anyone ever have their ECU remapped? Curious, someone from the UK put a post up on Facebook about having the ECU on their '12 RT remapped and gained 24 HP. That sounds like an awful lot to gain from only an ECU remap.

terryofperry

Wow, isn't that more than a 20% gain? Is that peak gain or across the range? Is there a before and after graph?

Is that Hilltop motors?

Terry

roger 04 rt

Although the UK riders at ukgser sing the praises of hill top, a 25% or more gain in hp is not possible by remapping. I asked many times in the threads below, and to hilltop directly by email and got no (zero) answers. No one who sings the praises can describe what it was that was done to their bike.

http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/399309-Hilltop-Motorcycles-fact-or-fiction

http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/401469-R1200GS-Dual-O2-Sensor-Questions

Thanks. Just read through a good chunk of the "fact-or-fiction" thread, and don't want to start that kind of thread here. I know MAX BMW has a reflash of the ECU that he does on the Hex/Camhead Boxers but doesn't get nearly the bump in power. It's very mild actually. He's claiming 6-12 hp.

MAX BMW ECU TUNING

roger 04 rt

Here are the claims from the max BMW site: ECU Tuning:

• Can improve throttle response

• Will produce a 6-12+ peak hp gain depending on fuel type, exhaust and filter systems.

• Affects only full throttle, leaving part throttle/cruising with similar to stock fuel consumption.

• Can void your warranty.

• Can be returned to stock.

• Will not fix a poor running condition.

Although hard to believe 12 HP, about a 10% gains, all in all this passes the sniff test for honesty. The comment that the gains are only at full throttle is consistent with Closed Loop control theory and Mixture Adaptation. This would mean you get a bit more HP but only on 3 or 4 of the ~300 fuel cells--at WOT, above 5000 RPM.

With regard to the "fuel type" comment, if it means octane, it seems believable that the ignition timing could be adjusted at full throttle. If it means ethanol content I'd be skeptical.

You can get better performance everywhere if you shift lambda with something like an AF-XIED pair or set of Innovate Motorports LC-2s (if you're an electronics hobbyist).

Afternoon kltk165

It's posted on the internet so it must be true.

I never trust rolling-drum Dyno data especially when the temperature, humidity, & atmospheric pressure, are different between runs (usually shows runs done on different days)

I have a number of Dyno runs on one of my old Harley's that show as much as 8 hp difference with nothing more done than a quick ride to lunch between runs.

I always showed different horsepower & torque numbers if I ran the bike on the Dyno or my (dealer tec) friend ran it (same strap down just different hand on the throttle)

Show me more top speed or quicker 30-130mph's & I will be a believer. Too many shenanigans in rolling drum dyno data for me to put much stock in those numbers.

roger 04 rt

Show me more top speed or quicker 30-130mph's & I will be a believer. Too many shenanigans in rolling drum dyno data for me to put much stock in those numbers.

+1 Dyno numbers are hugely influenced by initial conditions. Most dyno "run" are preceded by deceleration from the prior run. During deceleration, the bike goes into Overrun Fuel Cutoff. At the moment the next acceleration starts, the engine is OFF and there is no fuel in the throttle body. As a result, the mixture is very lean (shows on the plots which they tell you means your bike is lean, which it isn't) and the early acceleration numbers are junk. If at the next run, they allow it to come out of Overrun, guess what, the acceleration of the dyno wheel is faster.

oh, and inertial dynos don't actually measure power, they measure for a very brief instant how quickly a small drum, with a known rotational inertial (what?) can be accelerated by your bike's rear wheel. From that acceleration and rotational inertial they calculate the torque applied to the rear wheel (for a brief few seconds) and from that the computer calculates horsepower. But whatever "power" is being produced, is just for a few moments.

Lastly, on a dyno, the rear wheel sees the steady load of the dyno's rotational inertial. On the road, the load on your engine builds as your bike's speed goes up because, unlike on the dyno, the resistance of air is much higher at faster speeds.

All in all, give me a road test taken with a stopwatch or the GS-911.

• 8 months later...
Guest Kakugo
Here are the claims from the max BMW site: ECU Tuning:

• Can improve throttle response

• Will produce a 6-12+ peak hp gain depending on fuel type, exhaust and filter systems.

• Affects only full throttle, leaving part throttle/cruising with similar to stock fuel consumption.

• Can void your warranty.

• Can be returned to stock.

• Will not fix a poor running condition.

Although hard to believe 12 HP, about a 10% gains, all in all this passes the sniff test for honesty. The comment that the gains are only at full throttle is consistent with Closed Loop control theory and Mixture Adaptation. This would mean you get a bit more HP but only on 3 or 4 of the ~300 fuel cells--at WOT, above 5000 RPM.

With regard to the "fuel type" comment, if it means octane, it seems believable that the ignition timing could be adjusted at full throttle. If it means ethanol content I'd be skeptical.

You can get better performance everywhere if you shift lambda with something like an AF-XIED pair or set of Innovate Motorports LC-2s (if you're an electronics hobbyist).

I think they mean oxygenated racing fuels. ;)

It was not uncommon on track bikes to see a few extra ponies just by using it.

I've long suspected some less than honest tuners were in the habit of using it to embellish the figures they got... :rofl:

my old z06 just a dyno tune alone i got about 20-25hp and gained a few mpg, which went away a few months later with the addition of a supercharger.

10-12hp on a 100hp bike seems reasonable on a tune imo.. im sure they are using 93 octane and pushing the ignition timing way up along with dumping more fuel in.

Archived