IGNORED

Noisy starter after engine starts

rottyjohn

I have an 06 RT with now over 60k miles. Recently starter occasionally makes a noise like a sticky bendix? Particularly first start of the day or after sitting a long time? I was reading some old posts that describe similar symptoms on the 1150. Pictures show really gummed up starters. Couldn't find any mention of this issue on the 1200? Never have needed to pull my starter up to now?

Sure would appreciate any thoughts,

Thanks. John

Morning John

Your BMW 1200 doesn't use a starter Bendix (it uses a starter drive with solenoid plunger pull-in).

You basic problem sounds more like a crudded up starter inside or possibly the starter drive sticking slightly on the armature shaft.

If the noise only happens cold & only happens on starter engagement then possibly a battery issue (is your battery original?)

If the noise happens on starter DIS-engagement then look for gunk in the starter, or clutch material/oil build up on the starter internal parts.

Thanks DR I was hoping you would reply. It is definately a disengagement issue only. Would you suggest to pull the starter? Is it possible to clean it out?

Thanks John

Morning John

Yes, remove the starter & clean it up inside & inspect for blatant issues. If the problem then still exists you might have to address that.

Usually a good clean up inside does trick though.

Any signs of oil leakage at rear bottom of engine?

Thanks DR...

No signs of any oil leakage externally at the rear of the engine. Are you talking about blatant starter issues or engine? Like a rear main bearing leak or a clutch going out?

My Hanes book shows a cover for the starter my bike doesn't have one. Looks very easy to get to the starter minus pulling left side Tupperware?

Thanks Again,

John

Thanks DR...

No signs of any oil leakage externally at the rear of the engine. Are you talking about blatant starter issues or engine? Like a rear main bearing leak or a clutch going out?

My Hanes book shows a cover for the starter my bike doesn't have one. Looks very easy to get to the starter minus pulling left side Tupperware?

Thanks Again,

John

Morning John

Mainly on the oil leaks it is about oil getting into the starter then attracting clutch dust & other gunk. (makes a sticky/slimy mess)

On removing the starter -- pretty easy but you will probably also have to remove the L/H side foot rest plate. (as a rule the starter won't clear it coming out)

Thanks DR,

Got it, makes total sense to me now. I'll let ya know what I find. Got a free weekend to mess with it.

John

Dave_zoom_zoom
Thanks DR,

Got it, makes total sense to me now. I'll let ya know what I find. Got a free weekend to mess with it.

John

All the best to you John.

I had what appears to be the same problem on my 06 R1200RT about 3 years ago. Of course my BMW shop said "new starter". If I were them, I would probably have said the same thing for several reasons.

However, when I asked "how much?" the answer kind of took my breath away. I then asked my favorite mechanic if he would take the starter apart clean and lube it as is necessary. He said yes but of course, no guarantees. I asked him to please proceed. He did!

Approx. 3 years later "no problems"! :)

Memo: That D. R. is one smart guy! :clap:

Dave

Thanks Dave for the reply, Nice to know that there is a success story with similar symptoms before starting a project...

Agreed DR has given me lots of good advice since I have been on this forum.

John

DenverWayne

I have a fellow 05 R1200RT rider that has 60,000 miles on odometer. We have cleaned his starter motor twice. The starter become sluggish, cleaning with brake cleaner has yielded excellent results both times. The hardest part of the cleaning is removing the twenty or so torx screws from the left side panel and the lower foot peg panel. There is three electrical wires to remove. One is blade type and two with nuts hold the electrical wires. I would recommend disconnecting battery first. There are two bolts holding the starter in place the outer is a easy access. The inner requires a longer extension to remove and replace. The shaft is exposed and was found to be covered with what we believe is fine clutch material. {gunk} We used brake cleaner but a cleaner like PB blaster would work well. It takes about two hours steady work to complete.

Happy trails to you. Denver Wayne

I went to the dealer day before yesterday and the service manager told me that they all do it. Most of the time they replaced the starter. As Denver Wayne said we removed the starter and cleaned it twice. My 05 RT runs like a top.

Jim VonBaden

Just remove it and clean it. Simple job with basic tools. Relube the gear, lever and shaft and it will work like new.

Steps to do it. I can't access my pictorial for it:

Starter2.jpg

Starter3.jpg

Starter4copy.jpg

Starter5.jpg

Starter9copy.jpg

Starter10.jpg

Starter11copy.jpg

Starter12.jpg

Starter13.jpg

Starter14.jpg

Starter15.jpg