IGNORED

Turn signal cancelling

ed may

Hi all, I'm wondering what the parameters are for the turn signal cancel. Many times I will put my signal on a little early to be safe. Thing is, many times it will self cancel just before I make my turn, even if I'm on the brakes, which I thought would be a major input to the cancel decision. (why auto cancel if the brake is on, meaning, hey, I haven't turned yet!)

Guest Kakugo

The parameters are pre-set in seconds, at least on 2007-on bikes. I think factory setting is 10 seconds.

On those same bikes, time before self-cancel can be adjusted or self-cancel even turned off using the dealer's diagnostic system.

I believe the self-cancel feature is a combination of time and distance, i.e., they will not cancel sitting at a red light. Your manual should explain it to you.

Hi all, I'm wondering what the parameters are for the turn signal cancel. Many times I will put my signal on a little early to be safe. Thing is, many times it will self cancel just before I make my turn, even if I'm on the brakes, which I thought would be a major input to the cancel decision. (why auto cancel if the brake is on, meaning, hey, I haven't turned yet!)

Morning Ed

After driving for approximately (10) seconds, or, after covering a distance of approximately 650 ft (200 m), the turn indicators are automatically switched off.

I had my selling dealer re-program my 1200RT turn signal auto cancel to max time & max distance (I can't remember what that was) but since the re-program I have had almost no premature T/S cancels (the auto cancel can't be turned off but the time/distance can be extended enough to cover most turning delays)

My problem is I seldom put my foot down while waiting in line to turn so I creep along at just above 0 mph & that keeps the T/S timer active so it cancels early on me. I had a couple of issues with this as the T/S would (automatically) cancel just as I entered the intersection so oncoming drivers thought I had changed my mind on the turn & decidedly invaded my turning space as I was rolling into the turn.

Morning Ed

After driving for approximately (10) seconds, or, after covering a distance of approximately 650 ft (200 m), the turn indicators are automatically switched off.

I had my selling dealer re-program my 1200RT turn signal auto cancel to max time & max distance (I can't remember what that was) but since the re-program I have had almost no premature T/S cancels (the auto cancel can't be turned off but the time/distance can be extended enough to cover most turning delays)

My problem is I seldom put my foot down while waiting in line to turn so I creep along at just above 0 mph & that keeps the T/S timer active so it cancels early on me. I had a couple of issues with this as the T/S would (automatically) cancel just as I entered the intersection so oncoming drivers thought I had changed my mind on the turn & decidedly invaded my turning space as I was rolling into the turn.

Good afternoon DR, can the turn signal cancel time and distance be adjusted with the GS911?

It always surprises me that turn signals are something that Harley does so well but BMW does so poorly.

Perhaps BMW should reverse engineer the Harley system.

Thanks for the info DR. I will have the dealer max out that "clock". (I am having the same problem, signal cancels as I enter intersection and confuses everyone)

You seem to imply that all things Harley are outdated.

Their turn signals are superior.

They stay on while you are waiting to turn.

They turn off after rounding the corner and setting the bike back upright.

The BMW turn signals can't seem to accomplish either--they only blindly follow their pre-set parameters.

Sorry, but in this case--the Harley system is superior.

It may be surprising to us, but BMW could actually learn a thing or two from Milwaukee.

Depends on the BMW.

Not bashing, just saying that BMW's have had a variety of

parameters in the past.

Mine stay on w/brakes on and last through any turn situation w/out turning off.

My previous oilhead was time/distance related so I replaced

relay w/a Kissan that allowed ez programming and option to use as running lights.

Both marques have things they do well, and both sometimes change

that.

Best wishes.

You seem to imply that all things Harley are outdated.

Their turn signals are superior.

They stay on while you are waiting to turn.

They turn off after rounding the corner and setting the bike back upright.

The BMW turn signals can't seem to accomplish either--they only blindly follow their pre-set parameters.

Sorry, but in this case--the Harley system is superior.

It may be surprising to us, but BMW could actually learn a thing or two from Milwaukee.

Humor must have left you.

^^^^ No--just telling it like I see it.

And, to be clear, my BMWs are head and shoulders above their H-D contemporaries in all most all other facets--which is what makes the comparatively worse BMW turn signals all the more puzzling.

Again, there are components others do better--and I'm embarrassed for BMW that they are bested by H-D in this particular area.

Take it as you wish.

^^^^ No--just telling it like I see it.

And, to be clear, my BMWs are head and shoulders above their H-D contemporaries in all most all other facets--which is what makes the comparatively worse BMW turn signals all the more puzzling.

Again, there are components others do better--and I'm embarrassed for BMW that they are bested by H-D in this particular area.

Take it as you wish.

Rubbish. Get some lasik then. You have no freaking sense of humor. None.

Since I'm mindful of Mr. Twain's observation about arguments and fools, I'll just mosey along.......

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming!

Archived