IGNORED

Sidestand removal

DiggerJim

Swapping out the sidestand with a shorter one (lowering the bike) and am stuck not able to get the bushing out. Removed the spring, switch and bolt fine but the bushing just won't come out. Tried catching it from the inside just below the threaded section of the sidestand mounting "ear" and tapping it out but couldn't find any kind of lip or anything.

Any options besides cutting things apart to get the sidestand off? Would a large screw extractor bite into the (stainless?) steel bushing enough to be able to then pull it back out or am I just as likely to break the extractor in there?

TIA

I had luck using lots of penetrating oil and wiggling the sidestand until I could grab the edge of the bushing with pliers. I tried heat, but the bushing got hot also. If you try heat,and you have some refrigerant handy, you could spray the bushing after heating. Wear eye protection, of course. And mind the heat source. I'm pretty sure the bushing is very hard and difficult to drill and extract. Good luck. Be sure to use thread locker on the bolt when you replace the sidestand.

Morning Jim

That bushing is pretty darn hard.

What I personally use is a pair of snap ring pliers (not the pin type but the duck bill type). Those have just enough purchase to grab the inside of the bushing, then using a twisting-while-pulling motion work the bushing out far enough to expose the end. Then once the bushing is out a little ways you can get pliers on it if necessary.

Thanks guys. I looked at the replacement in Max's fiche and it shows the bushing as the collar type (with a notch in it in fact) and not the full bore one that appears to be in my stand (takes the whole width between the ears of the sidestand yoke). Wonder if they changed it after my build although they don't note it as replacing any old part #. The collar one looks much easier to remove vs the full width one. Seems to me that the full bushing would tend to get wedged in over time due to the constant pressure from the bolt. Since there's threading on the bolt shank within the yoke it doesn't look like it rides on anything except the shoulder of the bolt anyway so the collar type should work just as well.

Afternoon Jim

As far as I know they are still using the full length bushing. That bushing needs to go all the way in & be pulled up tight as the side stand floats on the bushing in one ear.

On my own 1200RT I actually shorten the bushing just slightly then use a custom washer to keep the side stand ears from spreading under usage load. (takes the side play out of the side stand)

As far as I know they are still using the full length bushing. That bushing needs to go all the way in & be pulled up tight as the side stand floats on the bushing in one ear.
This is what Max shows as the bushing now - Part # 46 53 7 679 105

It's pretty clear it doesn't go all the way & they even call it a collar bush. The photo of it for the GS looks like a full width bearing but the detail in the listing shows the collar bush instead. The others look like a collar bushing in both the diagram and in the parts list.

They show the same part on the '09+ model years as well. Bob's and A&S also show the same part. That's why I was thinking maybe they changed it out.

Digger - I replaced the sidestand bushing on my '09 RT a couple of years ago (excessive side play) and recall that what I got as a replacement bushing was not what was in the bike from the factory. I don't recall the details, but it's likely that is what you are seeing. I figured it out and had no problem with the fitting of the new bushing.

JayJay

Archived