IGNORED

Bad RT Engine?

Taylor 1983

Taylor 1983

I just spoke to a friend who has a 2014 RT. I have a 2015 RT. My friend said his BMW dealer was on their way to pick his bike up because he is burning oil badly. He said 1 quart every 100 miles. He thinks he blew something? Has anyone else heard of this issue? By the way his bike has 3,400 miles. I'm worried because my 2015 RT has 3,700 miles....

I just spoke to a friend who has a 2014 RT. I have a 2015 RT. My friend said his BMW dealer was on their way to pick his bike up because he is burning oil badly. He said 1 quart every 100 miles. He thinks he blew something? Has anyone else heard of this issue? By the way his bike has 3,400 miles. I'm worried because my 2015 RT has 3,700 miles....

My first thought is **relax**!

Once in a blue moon a defect gets through the system. I have a friend that bought one of the first hexhead GS Adventures, and it sucked down oil. After multiple complaints, BMW finally agreed to let the dealer disassemble the top end. Lo and behold, a severely damaged cylinder liner surface -- damage that could only have happened either during engine assembly or shortly thereafter when a defective section of lining broke away. BMW replaced what needed to be replaced and he continued to enjoy the bike for many miles.

Stuff happens, and it's lousy when it's your bike, but given the thousands of wethead motors that have been on the road for a couple of years now without reports of this sort of problem, there's no reason to be concerned about your bike sharing a fundamental design flaw.

Taylor 1983

Thanks Mark! I hope you're right? I've had a 2009 GS without any issues with a proven motor. I hope BMW has a reliable motor with the Wet Heads. It would be interesting to know what test to failure, (total miles) BMW has on this engine?

That seems pretty unusual. 100 miles per quart... definitely not common. Perhaps your friend did not follow the break in procedure like recommended. Chances of the same happening soon to you would be a rare case I think. Perhaps there is More to the story. I am surprised that the engine ran well at all if that was the case. More details would help. That engine must of kept the mosquitoes out of the surrounding neighborhood for some time.

... Perhaps your friend did not follow the break in procedure like recommended. ... I am surprised that the engine ran well at all if that was the case. ... That engine must of kept the mosquitoes out of the surrounding neighborhood for some time.

Wasn't the case for my friend, even at that level of consumption -- bike ran fine, without a cloud.

I'd also say that 1 qt/100 miles can't be break-in issue, or all of our bikes would be using lots of oil when they were brand new (i.e., before break-in was started).

... Perhaps your friend did not follow the break in procedure like recommended. ... I am surprised that the engine ran well at all if that was the case. ... That engine must of kept the mosquitoes out of the surrounding neighborhood for some time.

Wasn't the case for my friend, even at that level of consumption -- bike ran fine, without a cloud.

I'd also say that 1 qt/100 miles can't be break-in issue, or all of our bikes would be using lots of oil when they were brand new (i.e., before break-in was started). [/quote

Wow, if it didn't leave a cloud of smoke behind it that must've left and oil slick behind it. 1 quart of oil every 100 miles is a bunch. I think there's more to the story. GT

mountainmann

Sounds like either a damaged piston/ring/cylinder or a defective valve seal. With first option, a new engine is likely. With second option, a minor repair to one of the heads.

Once in a blue moon a defect gets through the system.

It happens.

Back in the 1970s when my Dad was a GMC truck dealer, one of the first 454 engine pickups we got had one cylinder completely unfinished. Whined some when it ran.

I recently had the 6k check on mine. Mine has not burned a single drop of oil since new. That is an improvement over my oilhead that burned about 3/4 of a quart every 3000k miles. I feel so good about it, I've just about stop checking it.

realshelby

I am at 10,500 and have not added oil. At 6400 when it was changed it might have been down 1/4" from new level. Over 4000 miles on this oil and I am not sure the level has moved! MUCH better than my Oilhead was.

Same with me. Down 1/4" @ the 6K service, no noticeable consumption at 12K service. Took the quart out of my pannier (although I still carry some paper funnels :) ) Just got back from an 1800 mile trip (15K now) and again no noticeable consumption. I still check frequently but this bike doesn't burn oil like my camhead (RIP) or the K1600.

At that kind of oil loss, it's not break-in or valve stem seals. Something is way wrong. A broken piston land can cause similar use. A badly out of round cylinder (really bad) can cause this use. A badly damaged ring during install, perhaps.

Wishing you firend luck!

Archived