IGNORED

First BMW

brianh70

Hello -

After a year or so of shopping, I finally picked up my first BMW - a 2004 R1150RT with 48k (now 50k) miles. I absolutely love this thing! I find myself just going for a "quick ride" to grab some lunch and ending up at a restaurant in Wilmington which is about 130 miles away from my home. :Cool: What can I say? Once I get on the road I just don't want to stop.

Brian,

Welcome to the site. Glad you're enjoying the RT. Why don't you bring that new rig over to the FART in the fall. Info HERE. :wave:

Hey Brian - Hillsborough myself and great to hear you are enjoying the ride. I have an 05 1200 RT but I think the body style of the 04 is much nicer. Great bike, all the best with it. In case you have not heard of a good non-dealer repair shop, Bombar's Beemers is the place you should look into. Great shop, good people, great work. They are in Durham but I think they are moving to Garner soon.

Yes, welcome... to the asylum.

Next thing you know, you will be involved in Oil Discussion Threads, learning how to synchronize various engine parts, searching for something, just about anything, to buy for the bike... etc.

But, rest easy, I and the other inmates understand ...

Welcome. My wife and I had lunch in Fuquay Varina a few years ago. Trying to remember which trip we were on at the time. Possibly on our way back from Moorehead City. Anyway enjoy your new ride!

Brian,

Welcome to the site. Glad you're enjoying the RT. Why don't you bring that new rig over to the FART in the fall. Info HERE. :wave:

Thanks! I was just checking out that thread.

In case you have not heard of a good non-dealer repair shop, Bombar's Beemers is the place you should look into. Great shop, good people, great work. They are in Durham but I think they are moving to Garner soon.

Yeah, I've been there. Matter of fact, that's where I got this bike. :grin:

Matthew Miller

Hey Brian, I know exactly what you mean. I recently just purchased my first BMW, A 2001 R1100RL. I also find I am going on a short ride to get gas 5 miles away and get home and can't figure out how I put on 100 plus miles just getting gas. Seems like sometimes I reach the bottom of my road I live on and can't bring myself to turn up it and just keep going. I must be BMW addict. Just can't get enough. When it is raining it bugs me so much to see the bike sitting there waiting to go somewhere.

szurszewski
Hey Brian, I know exactly what you mean. I recently just purchased my first BMW, A 2001 R1100RL. I also find I am going on a short ride to get gas 5 miles away and get home and can't figure out how I put on 100 plus miles just getting gas. Seems like sometimes I reach the bottom of my road I live on and can't bring myself to turn up it and just keep going. I must be BMW addict. Just can't get enough. When it is raining it bugs me so much to see the bike sitting there waiting to go somewhere.

BMW aren't exactly rain averse .... just sayin'....

BMW aren't exactly rain averse .... just sayin'....

Yup. I used to live in Oregon myself. We always said "If you're gonna wait until it quits raining before you go riding, you're not going riding." :thumbsup:

Here is my entry- 82 440LTD Kawasaki. bought it 3 years old for $700, had a friend ride it home cause I had never ridden a real motorcycle before!

szurszewski
Not so true this year. Hot and dry with no end in sight.

Indeed. I definitely don't feel like I'm in Portland today - I have been on the other end of the spectrum this year (not riding because it's TOO HOT/not wet enough :) ).

I rode to work today because by the time I head home it's ONLY supposed to be up to 90! :dopeslap:

Hey, southern CA: please take your weather back - we've had enough!

Matthew Miller

Welcome, I have the same problem you do. My R1100RL won't let me turn up or down my road after a short ride. So far the only solution I found is to keep riding until 1 of us gets to tired.

Not so true this year. Hot and dry with no end in sight.

Indeed. I definitely don't feel like I'm in Portland today - I have been on the other end of the spectrum this year (not riding because it's TOO HOT/not wet enough :) ).

I rode to work today because by the time I head home it's ONLY supposed to be up to 90! :dopeslap:

Hey, southern CA: please take your weather back - we've had enough!

Yeah, when it's hot in the valley the on shore flow comes in and treats us to fog and drizzle :mad: That said I don't want to trade for Portland weather any time soon.

Congrats! Bought my '04 RT new and love it to death. Get compliments on mine all the time. Must be the silver paint. :)

You've come to the right place. An infinite amount of knowledge on this board when it comes to anything two wheeled BMW.

I'm riding to the AMA Vintage Days tomorrow with two brother in laws. One has the slower Biarritz Blue '04, and another buddy with a pristine, black, Ohlins equipped '99 R1100s.

Hope to hit all the back roads.

RPG

I'm riding to the AMA Vintage Days tomorrow with two brother in laws. One has the slower Biarritz Blue '04, and another buddy with a pristine, black, Ohlins equipped '99 R1100s.

Hope to hit all the back roads.

RPG

Been to VMD a handful of times and really enjoy it. A huge variety of bikes to see - those that were ridden there, those on the track, as well as those at the swap meet.

Enjoy! :grin:

Archived